There are several free, confidential counseling options available to Northwestern students who have experienced sexual violence, relationship violence, or stalking. These organizations are not required to report sexual assault incidents to law enforcement officials. Counselors can listen and help someone work through any anger, pain, sadness, relationship issues or negative coping mechanisms that may be related to their experience. It is never too late to get counseling, even months or years later.
If you would like to learn more about counseling and other options available, you can talk to a CARE advocate confidentially.
ON-CAMPUS COUNSELING SERVICESFree, short-term and confidential counseling services for students:
OFF-CAMPUS COUNSELING SERVICES
Free or low-cost counseling options with expertise in sexual violence and/or domestic violence:
- Porchlight provides free counseling to college students who haveexperienced sexual assault on Chicago campuses.
Resilience in Chicago
- Resilience is an independent, not-for-profit organization dedicated to the healing and empowerment of sexual assault survivors through non-judgmental crisis intervention counseling, individual and group trauma therapy, and medical and legal advocacy in the greater Chicago metropolitan area
- KAN-WIN'S MISSION is to eradicate all forms of violence against women, including domestic violence and sexual assault, by empowering Asian American survivors and engaging the community through culturally competent services, community education and outreach, and advocacy
- The Anti-Violence Project (AVP) at the Center on Halsted empowers lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, and HIV-affected communities and allies to end all forms of violence through organizing and education, and supports survivors through counseling and advocacy
- Apna Ghar provides holistic services and conducts outreach and advocacy across immigrant communities to end gender violence
- Between Friends has over 30 years of experience providing counseling services to survivors of domestic violence. We offer supportive counseling sessions in which we listen to your experiences — and the choices that you are making or have made — without judgment
- Mujeres provides support for adult survivors of sexual violence, both Spanish and English speaking, at many stages in their recovery
- Live Oak is a group of professionals working together to enhance the emotional, psychological and spiritual well-being of individuals, families, organizations and communities