Skip to main content

Undergraduate Student Information

What You Need to Know

Each year all degree-seeking students* are enrolled in the Northwestern University Student Health Insurance Plan (NU-SHIP).

Please note: International Students – i.e., students holding a J-1 or F-1 U.S. visa – are required to confirm enrollment in the NU-SHIP annually, per Northwestern University policy.

*This process does not apply to students pursuing degree-seeking programs in the School of Professional Studies (SPS).

Waiving NU-SHIP Coverage

All degree-seeking students must carry good health insurance. (If you are considering waiving the NU-SHIP, please see the Comparable Coverage Checklist (pdf) to review the benefits that all plans must provide to meet Northwestern’s insurance requirements.) Additionally, your insurance must cover in-network medical care provided in the Evanston / Chicago area (or wherever you are residing) for both emergency and non-emergency medical and mental health care.