Undergraduate Student Information
What You Need to KnowEach year all degree-seeking students* are enrolled in the Northwestern University Student Health Insurance Plan (NU-SHIP).
- If you are already covered under a different insurance plan, you must waive your NU-SHIP enrollment during the open enrollment period, before the deadline.
- To waive NU-SHIP enrollment, you must affirm active alternate insurance that meets all of NU’s comparable coverage requirements.
- If you do not waive the NU-SHIP by the deadline, you will remain enrolled for the entire academic year, and you will be billed the annual premium on your student account.
- If you plan to use the NU-SHIP as your insurance coverage for this academic year, we encourage you to confirm your enrollment as soon as possible. Your data is not activated in Aetna Student Health's system until 4-5 business days after you confirm your enrollment via the online form in CAESAR.
- The Patient Protection Affordable Care Act (ACA) includes requirements for student health insurance plans; the NU-SHIP is a platinum-rated plan that meets all relevant ACA requirements.
Please note: International Students – i.e., students holding a J-1 or F-1 U.S. visa – are required to confirm enrollment in the NU-SHIP annually, per Northwestern University policy.
*This process does not apply to students pursuing degree-seeking programs in the School of Professional Studies (SPS).
Waiving NU-SHIP Coverage
All degree-seeking students must carry good health insurance. (If you are considering waiving the NU-SHIP, please see the Comparable Coverage Checklist (pdf) to review the benefits that all plans must provide to meet Northwestern’s insurance requirements.) Additionally, your insurance must cover in-network medical care provided in the Evanston / Chicago area (or wherever you are residing) for both emergency and non-emergency medical and mental health care.