Illinois Health Insurance Marketplace
The Marketplace is an alternate way to find health coverage that allows you to research a range of provider options, plan designs, and costs to find coverage that best meets your needs. With one application, you can see all your options and enroll. The Health Insurance Marketplace is also known as the Health Insurance Exchange.
Research & EnrollmentClick here to research plans or enroll now.
- When you use the Health Insurance Marketplace, you'll fill out an application and find out if you can get lower costs on your monthly premiums for private insurance plans. You'll also find out if you qualify for lower out-of-pocket costs.
- When budgeting for health care costs, we encourage students to consider not just the insurance premiums they may pay, but also how high or low the plan deductible is (the amount you must cover before any insurance benefits apply to your medical/mental health expenses), and what additional percentage of costs, e.g., co-insurance or co-pays, you are responsible for, to truly assess your potential annual liability.
- The Marketplace will also tell you if you qualify for free or low-cost coverage available through Medicaid or the Children's Health Insurance Program (CHIP).
Enroll in the Marketplace
- Click here to check the annual open enrollment period.
- You can apply for Marketplace coverage three ways: online, by mail, or in person with the help of a Navigator or other qualified helper. Telephone help and online chat are available 24/7 during open enrollment to help you complete your application.
Learn about the Marketplace in Illinois
- While all insurance plans are offered by private companies, the Marketplace in Illinois is run by the federal government. In Illinois, you’ll use HealthCare.gov to apply for coverage, compare plans, and enroll.
- In the Marketplace, information about prices and benefits is written in everyday language. You get a clear picture of what premiums you'd pay and what benefits and protections you'd get before you enroll.
- The Marketplace simplifies your search for health coverage by gathering the options available in your area in one place. You can compare plans based on price, benefits, quality, and other features important to you before you make a choice.
- You can also get help online, by phone, by chat, or in person. Call 1-800-318-2596, 24/7. (TTY: 1-855-889-4325)