General Safety Tips
- Always lock your door and avoid dead-bolting it open, even for a few minutes.
- Use the peep hole - make sure you know who is at the door before you open it.
- Report any broken windows, window screens, door latches or lights that aren't functioning to landlord so repairs can be made in a timely fashion.
- Require identification and authorization from all service people.
- Make sure all smoke and carbon-monoxide detectors work properly.
- Report ANY suspicious activity immediately to the police. This is your neighborhood and you have a sense of who generally belongs there. Do not hesitate to call to help protect yourself and your neighbors.
- In case of emergency dial 911.
- For non-emergency call University Police: 847-491-3456 (Evanston) and 312-503-3456 (Chicago).
- Utilize Northwestern Safe Ride as a safe and free alternative to walking alone after dark.
Going on Vacation?
- Make sure you secure or remove all valuables (i.e. jewelry, computers, television sets, etc.).
- Unplug power strips and make sure stoves and other appliances are turned off.
- Before leaving, close and lock all windows, close all shades / drapes and lock and bolt all entrance doors.
- Ask a trusted neighbor to keep an eye on your place and pick up your mail, newspaper and packages while you are away; or contact the postal service to hold your mail. Accumulation of these items are a sign you are away.
- NUPD provides checks to vacant Evanston residences within the NUPD extended patrol jurisdiction. To request this check, please complete and submit the Vacant House Check form.
- We recommend that all students purchase renter's insurance.
- Usually your landlord's insurance does not cover your property which means in the event that there is a robbery or a fire, they are not responsible for replacing your stolen or damaged items.
- Some students can be covered under their family member’s homeowners’ insurance policy for a small additional fee. Before purchasing Renter’s Insurance, talk with your family to see if this is an option for you.
- If you can't get coverage through a parent or family member's insurance policy, call different insurance providers and ask for quotes so that you can select the best and most cost-effective option.
Emergency Notification SystemThe Cities of Evanston & Chicago use an emergency notification system which allows you to sign up to get emergency alerts on your cell phone, work phone, text message, e-mail, home phone, and more:
- City of Chicago website - Sign-up for emergency notifications
- City of Evanston website - Sign-up for emergency notifications
Evanston and Chicago Crime ReportsRefer to this site for crimes statistics from the NU Police Department on the:
- Evanston campus
- Chicago campus
Northwestern University’s Annual Security Report