Walking alone at night can be very risky - it is always wisest to either walk with a friend or take transportation such as Shuttles or Saferide. If you do find yourself walking at night, here are some tips to stay safe.
Blue LightsNorthwestern and the City have an extensive system of illuminated blue-light telephones that will immediately get a hold of the Police in the event of an emergency.
NUhelp app & SafeWalk
Housed in the NUhelp App, SafeWalk is here to help ensure you get home safely. The feature allows users to create an alert that will notify a friend if they do not reach their destination in a certain amount of time. If this occurs, the selected friend is encouraged to check in on the SafeWalk-user or call NUPD in case of an emergency. Download the NUhelp App and stay safe while commuting between locations with SafeWalk.
Evanston maintains street lights throughout the city. If you see one that is out of order or obstructed by trees or other obstacles, call the City's 311 system (just dial 311; or 847-448-4311) to help keep the neighborhood safe.
Safety TipsUniversity Police have provided the following tips:
- Always remember, you can become a victim of crime anytime.
- Stay alert and tuned in to your surroundings wherever you are. Be aware and prepared.
- Stand tall and walk confidently.
- Make brief eye contact with passersby and keep a firm grip on your property.
- Trust your instincts.
- If you feel uncomfortable in a place or situation, leave right away and get help if necessary.