Many situations can occur which make students consider subletting their apartment.
Some Factors to Consider
- Check with your landlord as to his/her requirements or procedures before subletting.
- If you are allowed to sublet, get your landlord’s permission in writing.
- The landlord has the right to approve any sublessee. However approval must be based on a financial assessment, not any discriminatory factors.
- Some landlords charge a fee to allow their tenants to sublet.
- Unless otherwise instructed, you may want to cover many of the items listed in this Sample Sublet Agreement (Word doc). This helps ensure that the sub-lessee understands and agrees to the terms of the sublet. You are still obligated to your landlord. So if the sublessee does not pay, you still are held responsible.
Find a Sublet
Students can look for available sublets posted by NU students here.
Post a FREE Sublet
If you are a student at Northwestern University, Evanston/Chicago, IL, you can login to Places4Students.com to post a sublet or post a roommate ad. You will be asked to create an account to specify your sublet or roommate-finding information. All student services are FREE.