How to Eat Well
Download the "How to Eat Well" PDF
- Do you have cookware, dishes, and utensils, or will you purchase them?
- Consider transportation. How will you get to the grocery store?
- How often will you dine out or purchase food on campus?
- Do you need to learn to cook? Attend regular cooking demos taught by NU Off-Campus Life and Northwestern Dining.
- Many restaurants offer the WildCARD Advantage student discount, so take advantage of the great restaurants in Evanston and Chicago
- Look for coupons or special promotional deals to make dining out more affordable
On Campus Dining
- Check out Northwestern Dining for meal plan options or load up your WildCARD with Cat Cash to buy food at dining halls and C-stores
Trips to the Grocery Store
- Make a list. Your shopping will be faster and you’ll be less likely to forget important items
- Consider spoilage. Be sure that you can actually eat everything you buy before it expires
- Utilize the Shop-N-Ride Shuttle that operates on most Sundays (takes you round-trip to Target, Best Buy, OfficeMax, Jewel, and Old Orchard Mall)
- Consider renting a car for an hour or a day so you can stock up during your trip
- Visit the “Free and For Sale” NU Facebook group to find inexpensive cookware
Talk With Roommates
- Set expectations about washing dishes to prevent disputes over cleanliness
- Determine what items are communal. Think about salt, olive oil, sugar, etc.
- Coordinate trips to the store to prevent double purchases of communal items and so you can grab something a roommate might need