How to Move Off Campus
Think About Your Budget
Download the How To Move Off Campus PDF here
- Rent and deposit amount
- Cost of monthly utilities
- Can you afford to furnish it?
- How do you plan to eat?
- How do you plan to divide rent?
Location, Location, Location
- How far from campus you want to live?
- Do not forget about rain, snow, & heat
- Identify the area of the neighborhood you want to live in
- Think about safety
- Consider where the nearest transit stop, bicycle storage, grocery store, ATM, gas station, parking, doctor, police/fire station, and laundromat is located.
Find Your Perfect Place
- Visit Places4Students.com for listings
- Look for "for rent" signs and postings on campus and around Evanston
- Attend the ASG Fall and Winter Housing Fairs at Norris
Ask the Landlord
- Is there parking?
- Which utilities are included in the rent?
- Who are the neighbors?
- Will your landlord take care of repairs and maintenance promptly?
Understand Your Lease
- Is it a “tenant-at-will” lease, which permits both you and the landlord to terminate the lease with 30 days’ notice?
- Is it an individual or a joint lease? If your roommates fail to pay, are you responsible?
Inspect the Residence
- Walk through the property before signing
- Record property conditions in the Property Checklist available on our website
- Take and e-mail pictures to the landlord to avoid unnecessary costs when moving out