BIRT and RespectNU
The Bias Incident Response Team (BIRT) is a group of administrators who are committed to creating a proactive response to instances of hate and bias. When a student reports a bias/hate incident through RespectNU one of the BIRT members will support the student, connect them with the appropriate resources, and follow-up with them until the situation has been resolved.
BIRT and RespectNU are:
- Systems that will assist students who report bias or hate incidents
- Dedicated to fostering a welcoming and inclusive campus community for all students
- Action oriented initiatives that will provide early intervention and education on acts of bias and hate for the campus community
BIRT and RespectNU are not:
- Investigative units (BIRT will connect students with the Student Conduct Office or the Office of Equal Opportunity and Access as appropriate)
- Replacements for existing reporting or support mechanisms at NU
- Crisis or emergency services. Any student in need of police intervention or immediate assistance should call the Northwestern University Police Department at 847-491-3246 or, if the student is not on campus, local police at 911.
Current Bias Incident Response Team
- Lesley-Ann Brown-Henderson, Ph.D.
- Tracey Gibson-Jackson
- Eric Budzynski
- Valronica Scales
- Daviree Velazquez-Phillip
- Charles Andrean
- Lucas Christain