Skip to main content

Counseling and Support Services

There are many resources available if you're struggling with substance abuse or addiction – both your own or that of a friend or loved one. If you have any questions about the services below reach out for support.


CAPS (Counseling and Psychological Services) provides counseling, workshops, and outreach programs to individuals and groups at Northwestern. The CAPS staff consists of highly qualified and experienced mental health professionals who help students work through emotional difficulties, adjustments, and crises. CAPS can help with many concerns you may have about your own alcohol and other drug use, or that of a friend or family member.

Click for information on how to access CAPS services

Other Campus Resources

Health Promotion and Wellness (847) 491-2146, 633 Emerson St.
Helps students make healthy and informed decisions about alcohol and other drugs, including Brief Alcohol/drug Screening and Intervention for College Students (BASICS).

Women's Center (847) 491-7360, 2000 Sheridan Rd.
Conducts outreach, educational programming, coalition building, advocacy, and resource referral on a variety of topics.

Religious and Spiritual Life (847) 491-7256, Parkes Hall, Rm.139
Offers free and confidential pastoral counseling and guidance on a variety of issues.

NUHS Tobacco Cessation Aids (847) 491-8100
Northwestern University Health Service general medicine clinic may prescribe cessation aids to qualifying students. Over the counter cessation aids can be ordered through the NUHS Pharmacy.

Self-Help and Support Groups

Self-help  and support groups allow people with a common problem or situation to come together for mutual understanding and support and to share information and ideas for coping. In general, self-help and support groups are free, voluntary, anonymous, informal and facilitated by a layperson.


Hazelden, a part of the Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation, has been saving lives and restoring families from substance abuse and addiction for more than 60 years. With outpatient and residential programs in Minnesota, Oregon, California, Florida, New York and Illinois, we offer every patient the best chance of lifelong recovery.

Contact: 1-800-257-7810

Other Community Resources

Chapman Center at Evanston Hospital (847) 570-4633 for questions; (847)570-2500 to schedule an appointment. Provides assessment and outpatient treatment for adults struggling with alcohol and other drug abuse and addiction.

PEER Services, Inc. (847) 492-1778
Offers alcohol and other drug prevention, assessment and treatment services for teens and young adults.

Go Ask Alice!
Real questions about alcohol and other drugs answered honestly and informatively by the Alice! Health Promotion Program at Columbia University.

Illinois Tobacco Quit Line (847) 784-8937

Free phone service staffed by nurses, respiratory therapists and addiction counselors of the American Lung Association who are trained to help people quit tobacco.

National Institute on Drug Abuse
National Alcohol and Other Drug Referral Helpline (800) 234-0286