Skip to main content

Reporting Crimes

In an emergency

If there is immediate danger, dial 911.

Your safety is our top concern. We encourage the Northwestern community to report criminal incidents, suspicious activity and emergencies. We will promptly work to address the incident and mitigate any risk to people or property.


If there is no immediate threat, you can call our department to report incidents or accidents. These numbers are monitored 24/7.


  • 847-491-3456 (or dial 456 from any campus phone)
  • 847-467-7883 (TDD)


  • 312-503-3456 (or dial 456 from any campus phone)
  • 312-503-3999 (TDD)

Reporting to Campus Security Authorities

The campus community has the option to contact a Campus Security Authority (CSA) about a crime they experienced or witnessed. CSAs are people working on campus who have the training and authority to report crimes on campus. CSAs can get in touch with police on behalf of the person reporting.

Who are CSAs?

CSAs include, but are not limited to: academic deans; student affairs / residential life officials; coordinator of Greek affairs (or related positions); athletic administrators. See the CSA page on the University Compliance site for more information.

CSA crime report form

If you are a CSA, and need to report a crime, please fill out out the CSA Crime Report Form. The submitted report will be sent to University Police.

Blue light telephones

You can also contact us through Emergency Police “blue light” telephones. They are situated in strategic locations on both the Chicago and Evanston campuses to quickly reach University Police to report crimes, suspicious activity, medical emergencies or concerns about your personal safety.