Vacant House Check
Northwestern community members can request police checks on vacant Evanston residences within our extended patrol jurisdiction during periods that homes are vacant (like during breaks and holidays, for example).
The extended patrol jurisdiction includes the streets between Isabella Street to the north, Lake Michigan to the east, Lake Street to the south, and Green Bay/Asbury to the west.
To request this service, fill out our Vacant House Check Form. A valid NetID is required.
Vacation safety tips
- Do not publicize travel plans. Do not announce vacation absences in voicemail, automated email responses or on social networking sites.
- Make sure you secure or remove valuables in your home or room (i.e., jewelry, computers, electronics, etc.).
- Before leaving, close and lock all windows, close all shades / drapes and lock and bolt the entrance door.
- Ask a trusted neighbor to keep an eye on your place and pick up mail, newspapers and packages while you are away.
- Leave your itinerary with a trusted neighbor or friend.
- Use timers to turn on lights or a radio. Turn phone ringers down or off.
- While on vacation, don't carry large amounts of cash and keep a charged cell phone with you.