Bicycle Registration and Locks
The bicycle registration process has changed for the 2020–2021 academic year. Registration serves as a deterrent to theft and aids in the recovery of stolen bicycles. Bicycle registrations continue at no charge, but must be submitted online as follows:
If you reside in Evanston:
Faculty, staff, and students residing in Evanston can register their bicycles by visiting the City of Evanston bicycle registration webpage and following these steps:
1. Scroll down the page to select “Submit a Request Online.”
2. Type “Bicycle” into the search box to access the City of Evanston’s online bicycle registration form.
3. Be sure to click the “Submit” button on the bottom right when the registration form is completed.
4. Provide your mailing address (Evanston only).
5. Your bicycle registration confirmation and sticker will be mailed to the address provided within 7–10 business days. Once you receive your sticker, place it on your bike in a visible area.
If you reside in Chicago:
Faculty, staff, and students residing in Chicago can register their bicycles by visiting the Chicago Police Department bicycle registration webpage and completing the steps:
1. Create an account and log in.
2. Select the “Register Bike” tab and follow the steps to access the online bicycle registration.
3. Be sure to click the “Register” button on the bottom right when the registration form is completed.
4. Your bicycle registration confirmation will be available to print and a copy of the registration will be emailed to you.
To register your bike online in Evanston and Chicago, you are required to provide your bike serial number. See photo below for common locations for bike serial numbers.
To receive your free bicycle helmet and light
(beginning September 1)
Please bring the following documentation to one of the below University Parking Offices to receive your free bicycle helmet and light.
Bring your valid Wildcard and the bicycle registration confirmation that was mailed to you with the sticker.
Bring your valid Wildcard and the bicycle registration confirmation you received via email from the City of Chicago, or print the confirmation page from the website.
University Parking Office locations and hours:
University Parking Office
(entry door at the northwest corner of Segal Visitors Center)
1841 Sheridan Road
Evanston, IL 60208
Hours: Mon. – Fri., 8:00 – 4:00
University Parking Office
Abbott Hall, Room 100
710 North Lake Shore Drive
Chicago, IL 60611
Hours: Mon. – Fri., 8:00 – 5:00
How to purchase a bike lock
U-shaped Kryptonite locks can be purchased with cash, check, and credit cards from either the Evanston campus or Chicago campus University Parking Offices (locations and hours above) at-cost for $40; they are sold for approximately $63 elsewhere.