Special Event Security Staffing Form
University Police can be hired to provide security at special programs such as concerts, invited speakers, athletic events, and 5K races. Some campus venues may require our services to hold an event at their site.
Currently, University Police charges:
- $63.00 per hour per officer for departments
- $56.70, a 10% discount, for student groups
- $32.00 per hour for Community Service Officers (CSOs)
- Allied Universal Security Services: $18.95 per hour for Security Officer, and $20.65 per hour for Contract Security Shift Supervisor. (Vendor requires a 4 hour minimum per scheduled event.)
- Luna Security Services: $18.98 per hour for Security Officer, and $26.00 per hour for Contract Security Supervisor. (Vendor requires a 5 hour minimum per scheduled event)
- A Contract Security Supervisor must be present at all scheduled events. If only one security officer is necessary at an event, a Contract Security Supervisor will staff the event.
Special event security requires a minimum of 10 days of advance notice for faculty and staff, and 21 days of advance notice for student groups.
Do we need security coverage?
Not sure whether police coverage is necessary? If you are concerned, or if two or more of the following apply to your event, please contact us well in advance and we will work with you to determine if our presence is needed.
- Alcohol is being served
- Live music/DJ
- Speakers who have generated disturbances/protests (automatic NUPD staffing required)
- Attendance over 100
- Event is open to the public
Officer event duties
The officers assigned to special events have the primary purpose of providing a reasonably safe and secure environment. University Police will try to work with the event sponsors to ensure the event proceeds safely. If an accident, injury, disruption, or criminal incident occurs, officers on duty will take appropriate action.
Some specific duties that officers are prohibited from performing include:
- Ticket taking or ushering.
- Carding individuals to ensure University status and/or legal drinking age.
- Collection of ticket moneys.
Special event scheduled hours must be set at the time of the request. University Police reserves the right to alter officer hours times based on the circumstances of the event.
Changes to the scheduled hours of the event may not be made without prior approval from University Police. If the sponsoring party shortens the event without approval, officers will be paid for the hours originally scheduled and the sponsors will be billed accordingly.
University Police understands that some events cannot be planned to the minute, so please contact Lieutenant Haydee Martinez with specific questions.
Event sponsors must cancel with University Police at least five full days in advance to avoid a minimum overtime charge. For example, if the event is scheduled for 11:00 p.m. on Saturday, the sponsor would need to call us prior to 11:00 p.m. on the Tuesday before the event to avoid minimum charges.
If an event sponsor cancels less than five days but more than eight hours prior to the event, they will be charged a flat fee of $126.00 for each officer scheduled to work the event.
If the event sponsor cancels eight hours or less prior to the event, or if the event is canceled without notice, the sponsors will be charged in full -- up to a maximum of $252.00 per scheduled officer.
University Police cannot be responsible for unforeseen circumstances such as adverse weather conditions, speaker cancellation, equipment failures, etc.
How to reserve
Please submit the form below to reserve officers. All requests must include a valid chart string or Student Organization Financial Office (SOFO) number. You will receive confirmation of your request. Please do not fill out this form if you do not need security coverage at your event.