University Police Guarantee
The Northwestern University Police Department recognizes sexual assault as a serious crime and encourages victims to report incidents. Our guarantee for sexual assault victims reflects our concern for survivors and emphasizes sensitivity, privacy (to the extent possible), and the need for trust and confidence. Our primary concern is for the victim. The investigation and the prosecution, or discipline, of the suspect may prevent future assaults. For these reasons, Northwestern University Police Department has adopted this guarantee for sexual assault victims.
- We will meet with you privately, at a place of your choice, to take a complaint.
- If you feel most comfortable talking with a female or male officer, we will try to accommodate your request.
- We will fully investigate your case. We will keep you informed on the progress of the investigation and/or prosecution.
- Our officers and other staff will not prejudge you, and you will not be blamed for what occurred.
- We will continue to be available to answer your questions, to explain the law enforcement and judicial systems, and to be willing listeners.
- We will help arrange for any hospital treatment and/or other medical needs.
- We will provide you with information regarding on- and off-campus counseling and other resources.
- We will treat you and your case with courtesy, sensitivity, dignity, understanding, and professionalism.
- We will consider your case seriously, regardless of your gender or the gender of the suspect.
We will not release your name to the media and will request the media to respect your privacy.