Chicago Metropolitan Area Travel
Planning on traveling in the Chicago Metropolitan Area?
Same day travel (leave and return on the same day)
We encourage your group to explore the following options:
- Reserve rental vans through Facilities Management: Contact Facilities Customer Service for reservations: 847-491-5201. Enterprise-Rent-A-Car will be handling the reservations as a contracted partner.
- Public transportation: We are fortunate to be well-served in Evanston by the CTA. Students ride free on the 201 bus that runs from campus into Rogers Park and beyond. https://www.northwestern.edu/transportation-parking/shuttles/routes/cta-201.html
- Divvy Bikes: There is a docking station located outside of Norris. Discounted memberships are available for students: https://www.northwestern.edu/wildcard/services/businesses/divvy-bikes.html
- Uber/Lyft Rideshares: This is a good option for small groups that are not traveling long distances.
Driving a vehicle?
All Registered Student Organization Travel must align with the Universitie' Travel Policies outlined by the Office of Risk Management.
Requests for exceptions to the University policy that prohibits travel over 150 miles on weekdays and 300 miles on weekends, travel before 6:00am or after 11:00pm must be submitted via email to Leland Roth, email@example.com with the following information:
- Number of Miles
- Time they are leaving campus
- Time the plan to arrive at destination
- Time they plan to return to campus
- Time they plan to arrive on campus
Using a bus?
(Note, students may not drive any vehicle larger than a 7 person van)
Contact University Services for information on bus services including 14 passenger vans.
Schedule your advisor meeting
Schedule a meeting with your advisor at least 4 weeks prior to travel for overnight travel. Bring to meeting the following:
- Tentative travel plan including:
- Where you want to go
- What organization or vendor you'd like to work with and/or conference or retreat you'd like to attend
NOTE: Vendors/Organizations must be able to provide contract in order to be considered valid options. SOA advisors are happy to assist in this process
If trip is approved then you will have to complete Student Organization Travel Planning Form. Please note you will have to complete any required supplementary forms including, but not limited to:
- Travel Waiver (pdf)
- Emergency Information Form (pdf)
- Behavior Agreement (pdf)
- Membership Travel List (pdf)
If you are partnering with vendor and/or organization begin contract process.
NOTE: All contracts must be reviewed by advisor and then submitted by advisor to Tracey Gibson-Jackson, firstname.lastname@example.org, at least two weeks prior to proposed travel.
NOTE: All supplemental forms and/or waivers need to be submitted to advisor prior to scheduled departure date. Travel subject to cancellation by the University if all participant forms are not received at least one week prior to proposed departure.