Skip to main content

Other Advertising Policies


All sales persons and solicitors, including canvassers, distributors, and students conducting charitable drives must obtain permission of the appropriate unit officer or University Official responsible for the building in which the solicitation occurs, as well as observe applicable solicitation policy for that building.

Permission for such activity must be produced upon request by any member of the University community. Violators will be reported to University Police. Commercial solicitation is prohibited at The Rock, in dining halls, door to door within University buildings, or in student mailboxes. At no time and under no circumstances will door-to-door solicitation be permitted within the residence halls. No one is permitted to place materials on, at, or under resident room doors unless for official University business or communication between known acquaintances.

Solicitation in the Norris Center must be approved by the Assistant Director of Production and Planning, Phillip Booker. Recognized student organizations will need to obtain a permit through the Northwestern Dining Office to solicit within dining halls. Please contact the NU Dining Director of Marketing, Georgene Sardis.

Outside Sound Amplification on University Property

Campus groups who wish to use projected or amplified sound on University property must request permission through the outdoor events process. Requests must be in compliance with local and state ordinances.

The City of Evanston requires a permit for amplified sound and will approve sound permits only for events east of Sheridan Road.

The following noise restrictions are strictly enforced at the Rock:

Political Policy

The following is an excerpt from Northwestern's Policy on the Use of University Facilities for Political Activities:

Northwestern University's status as a tax-exempt organization under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code prohibits it from participating or intervening in any political campaign on behalf of (or in opposition to) any candidate for public office, including by means of the publishing or distributing of statements. Northwestern University recognizes that students, faculty, and staff may wish to participate in the political process and that such participation may, in fact, contain an educational component. Recognized student organizations may reserve University facilities, including lecture halls, certain outdoor spaces, and any other space available to all recognized student groups, to conduct organizational meetings or to host, sponsor, and/or publicize an event on behalf of a candidate.

Violations and Enforcement

Complaints regarding students or student groups who violate the campus publicity policies and procedures will be referred to the Director of the Student Organizations & Activities. The Director will resolve the matter or refer the complaint to the Office of Community Standards. Sanctions for violations may include but are not limited to fines or University service. For more information about the University's student disciplinary system, refer to

For publicity questions not addressed, please contact:

Division of Student Affairs
Scott Hall, 601 University Place, 847-491-8430