Workers CompensationThe Office of Risk Management handles Northwestern's Workers’ Compensation claims. Workers’ compensation provides medical expenses, lost wages, and rehabilitation costs to Northwestern employees who are injured or become ill “in the course and scope” of their job.
- Seek Medical Treatment
- If urgent, dial 911 for immediate emergency medical assistance
- If non-urgent, get treatment at a primary care facility designated by the University
- If the injury occurs on the weekend or during off work hours, please seek care at the nearest emergency room
- Chicago - Northwestern Memorial Hospital
- Evanston - Evanston Hospital
- Report work-related injuries, accidents, or illnesses to their supervisor and ensure that the Supervisors’ Injury or Illness Investigation Report is completed (employees must participate in completing of the report)
- If necessary, secure the area where the injury occurred to prevent another injury (e.g. oil spill on floor, ice on pavement, faulty equipment, etc.)
- Complete the Supervisors’ Injury or Illness Investigation Report whenever an employee has or reports a work-related injury or illness
- When completing the form, the supervisor should question the employee in person (or via telephone if this is not possible) to get the specific facts of the reported accident and injury
- Immediately report the employee injury and upload the report . If the supervisor has further information that they believe is pertinent, that information should be communicated to the Workers' Compensation Claims Manager.
- Record Time in FAMIS/Workforce
Guidance for Managers and Telecommuting Employees
The Office of Risk Management has issued guidance to supplement any post-pandemic guidelines to alternate workforce strategies deployed in schools and units, with focus on remote work. This document serves as a summary of Workers’ Compensation applicability, responsibilities, and recommendations for employees whose roles are remote eligible.
Guidance for Workers' Compensation Billing
If you are an employee and have a workers' compensation claim with Northwestern University, please inform your medical facility that your visit is in relation to that claim and provide the claim number. All bills and appropriate records associated with your workers' compensation claim should be directed to the Office of Risk Management, either through mail or secure e-mail.
Workers Compensation Resources
- Supervisors Injury or Illness Investigation Report
- Employee Accident Statement Form
- Witness Accident Statement Form
- Omega Clinic Passport - Evanston
- Northwestern Treatment Authorization - Chicago
- Incident Investigation Form
- Evanston Campus Lab Poster
- Chicago Campus Lab Poster
- Chicago Workers' Compensation Brochure
- Evanston Workers' Compensation Brochure
- Guidance for Managers and Telecommuting Employees