Navigating Cultures in the Global Workplace
This interactive workshop series for staff members aims to provide tools for greater self-awareness and practical knowledge to increase intercultural sensitivity and effective communication in the workplace. The small group workshops will be conducted online, involving a combination of live presentations, discussions, and interactive activities. All participants will be provided with an online, personal assessment — the Cultural Orientations Indicator® (COI) — and will have access to an array of professional development materials.
At the end of the workshop series, participants will be able to:
- define the concept of culture and understand its levels and dimensions
- understand and apply learnings from the Cultural Orientations Indicator® (COI) and the Cultural Navigator® to work situations
- reflect more structurally and critically on past and current intercultural workplace experiences
- use tools and strategies provided to reduce intercultural conflict and misunderstanding
Fall 2023 Dates
- Wednesdays, April 19 - May 17, 2023
3-5pm CET | 8-10am CST
The workshop is free to staff members selected for the program. However, if a participant does not attend all five sessions of the workshop, we will request a $65 reimbursement from the participant’s home department to cover the cost of the individual’s (COI)® assessment.
The workshop series is open to all benefits-eligible Northwestern staff members, who have been employed by the university for at least six months. Preference will be given to applicants with some experience working with culturally diverse constituents and who demonstrate the ability to critically reflect on their own experiences.