What is a Family Ambassador?
Family Ambassadors (FAs) are a community of student volunteers dedicated to supporting families throughout their Northwestern experience. This is an excellent leadership opportunity and a great way for students to find community on campus.
Family Ambassador Responsibilities Include
- Assisting with all aspects of Parent and Family Orientation which includes parent and family check in, hosting various sessions, participating in the “Day in the Life of a Northwestern Student” skits, giving campus tours and mingling with families and guiding them to various events around campus.
- Assisting with various aspects of Wildcat Welcome which includes new student move-in day, March through the Arch, taking attendance at student sessions and assisting with other initiatives that arise throughout the program.
- Assisting with all aspects of Family Weekend which takes place in October or November. This includes checking in family members, hosting sessions, directing family members to the Family Tailgate, giving campus tours and mingling with family members throughout the weekend.
- Periodically participating in the Wildcat Family Webinar Series during the summer and throughout the academic year.
- Learning about campus resources related to the parent and family experience.
- Offering a student perspective to parents and families.
- Interacting with parents and family members on campus by answering their questions and helping to meet their needs.
- Ensuring the overall success of family programming and events.
- Family Ambassadors represent the diverse Northwestern community. We are looking for freshmen, sophomores, and juniors with varying levels of NU involvement, and a wide range of personalities and backgrounds.
Please make sure you read the Important Dates for FA Applicants to fully ensure you understand the requirements prior to applying.
Characteristics Found in Successful Family Ambassadors:
- Organizational skills
- Positive Attitude
- Relatability to others - and would relate well to parents and family members
- Willingness to share about your family and their experience when you transitioned to Northwestern
- Desire to speak about your Northwestern experience and share a student perspective
- Desire to serve as a resource for nervous and overwhelmed families
- Open-minded towards cultures, ethnicities, lifestyles, and backgrounds
- A willingness to learn and grow