Pre-TND: The Role of Land AcknowledgementsWelcome to the Pre-TND: The Role of Land Acknowledgements. Complete this requirement by doing the following by August 31:
- Review the information on this page.
- Click to the next page to watch the video in full; you must be logged in using your NetID.
- Proceed to the final completion page; landing on this page will automatically mark this task as complete in your Purple Prep checklist.
- Learn the history of Native American initiatives at Northwestern;
- Consider the role of settler colonialism in the lives of Native Americans; and
- Discover how to intentionally and respectfully engage with Indigenous communities to build relationships beyond the land acknowledgement statement.
Preparing for Reflection QuestionsThe video on the next page will ask you to reflect at several different moments. To help you prepare, you are encouraged to review the questions below.
- Have you ever witnessed a land acknowledgement before?
- If you have, how did it make you feel? What do you remember?
- If you haven’t, do you know why that may be? Can you think of any missed opportunities for land acknowledgements?
- Can you recall other opening statements to events or gatherings? If so, how have they made you feel?
- As you think about the impact of land acknowledgments, which ones stand out to you? Or is there anything you want to add?
- As you move forward in your Northwestern journey, how will you use what you learned from today?
To complete the Pre-TND: The Role of Land Acknowledgements requirement, click below to watch the video in full and then click to end on the completion page.