The final, on-campus component of Northwestern’s orientation process is Wildcat Welcome. This required weeklong orientation provides you with opportunities to take part in campus traditions, build connections, learn to navigate campus, and register for fall classes.
September 12: New Student Move-in Day
September 12–19: Wildcat Welcome
*International students start Wildcat Welcome early with the International Student Orientation track from September 8–12.
September 12–13: Parent & Family Orientation
Before heading into Wildcat Welcome, students will have engaged in the first two components of orientation: Purple Prep and Before the Arch.
Complete the Registration Form
While the entirety of Wildcat Welcome is required for all incoming undergraduate students, you also must complete the Wildcat Welcome Registration Form by June 30. The form allows the staff of Student Transition Experiences to prepare for your arrival and participation.
Find the form in your Purple Prep Checklist.
Registration Form commonly asked questions:
- Access Not Granted: If you see this screen after clicking on the link, it means your browser is automatically signed into a personal Gmail account, rather than your @u.northwestern.edu email. You can open the registration link in a private or incognito browser window for quickest sign-in access.
- Submitted but not marked as complete: If you submitted your registration form but it is not marked as complete on your checklist, this likely calls for you to review the NetID you included in your form. Review to ensure your NetID is accurate (3 letters + 4 numbers) and then resubmit the form.
Components of Wildcat Welcome
- New Student Move-in Day: New students move to campus on September 12 and begin Wildcat Welcome programming around 5 p.m. Students are prompted to select their move-in appointment in August. International students participating in International Student Orientation do not need to select a move-in appointment for their September 8 move-in day.
Learn more about the move-in process.
- International Student Orientation: International students’ Wildcat Welcome experience begins with a track designed to support your unique transition. International students move to campus on September 8 to participate in this track from September 8-12 and will then participate in Wildcat Welcome with the full class through September 19.
Learn more about International Student Orientation.
- March Through the Arch: One of Northwestern’s richest traditions, symbolically marking your start to the University, is March Through the Arch. This event occurs on Tuesday, September 13 from 10:30 a.m.–11:30 a.m. and is also included in the Parent and Family Orientation schedule to allow family members to observe this tradition. The event ends with Kiss’n’Bye, a 10-minute period for families to say their final goodbyes before departure.
- Parent and Family Orientation: Parent and Family Orientation (PFO) provides family members of new students with information to serve as informed support systems for their student during their tenure at Northwestern. Programming begins at the end of move-in day and runs through approximately 5 p.m. on September 13. Once PFO begins at 4 p.m. on September 12, the only overlap available in family and student schedules is on September 13 before 10 a.m. or during the above Kiss’n’Bye period.
Learn more about Parent and Family Orientation.
- Academic Advising & Fall Quarter Course Registration: The Purple Prep component of orientation includes information and tasks to help you prepare for fall quarter course registration that occurs during Wildcat Welcome. You will meet with an academic advisor who will guide you in your course selection and then you will register for fall quarter courses with your Peer Adviser group. You do not register for fall courses prior to arriving for Wildcat Welcome.
Learn about the Purple Prep tasks found on your checklist connected to your undergraduate school.
- Peer Advisers: Your Peer Adviser (PA) is an upper-level student with a similar academic interest as you and has firsthand experiences transitioning to Northwestern. Your PA group consists of your PA and a small number of other incoming students who will act as a support system through orientation and, informally, throughout the year. You will first hear from your PA in late July (early August for Weinberg students) and will be provided virtual opportunities to get to know others in your PA group prior to moving through Wildcat Welcome together.
*International students should note you receive an additional peer support as a result of participating in International Student Orientation, called an International Peer Adviser. International students hear from their IPA at a similar time as their PA, around late July.
- Support & Community-Building Programs: Each day of Wildcat Welcome includes activities that connect you with other students and help you acclimate to life at Northwestern. Wildcat Welcome will include meetings and events hosted for the entire class and for smaller populations (residential area, school, identity-based), each existing to support and enrich your student experience. A series of programs included in Wildcat Welcome, with pre-requirements hosted in Purple Prep, is the True Northwestern Dialogue series.
The Wildcat Welcome Schedule
All incoming undergraduate students are expected to participate in the entirety of Wildcat Welcome. Those absent from required events will participate in alternative programming/essays during the fall quarter in order to be granted access to winter quarter course registration.
While each day is full, it is carefully balanced with information-based programs, connection-building programs, and downtime for wellness care. Find below the timeline for schedule announcement.
- June 2022: Wildcat Welcome programming time blocks are released (event details note included); these times allow for students with jobs to plan work schedules or connect with Student Transition Experiences with further questions
- August 2022: Wildcat Welcome programmatic overview is released in class Canvas page
- September 2022: Personalized, detailed Wildcat Welcome schedule is released in class Canvas page
Wildcat Welcome Student Programming Time Blocks
The below time blocks provide students with timing they can expect to participate in orientation; these times are subject to change. Periods designated as "orientation programming" call for student attendance.
- Monday, September 12: Move-in appointments occur from 8 a.m.-4 p.m.; student orientation programming occurs from 4 p.m.-8 p.m. with social programming available through the evening.
- Tuesday, September 13: Orientation programming occurs from 9 a.m.- 3 p.m. and 6-8:30 p.m. Social programming available through the evening.
- Wednesday, September 14: Orientation programming occurs in blocks from 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.; specific time frames provided in September based on factors such as school and PA group. Orientation programming occurs from 7-9 p.m. Social programming available through the evening.
- Thursday, September 15: Orientation programming occurs in blocks from 9 a.m.-5 p.m.; specific time frames provided in September based on factors such as school and PA group. Orientation programming occurs from 7-9 p.m. Social programming available through evening.
- Friday, September 16: Orientation programming occurs in blocks from 9 a.m.-5 p.m. including fall quarter course registration; specific time frames provided in September based on factors such as school and PA group. Orientation programming occurs from 7-9 p.m. Social programming available through evening.
- Saturday, September 17: Traditions-based programming occurs from 8 a.m. - 2 p.m.. Social programming available through evening.
- Sunday, September 18: Orientation programming occurs from 1 p.m.-5:30 p.m. Social programming available through evening.
- Monday, September 19: Orientation programming occurs from 1-3:30 p.m.
Stay Updated on Wildcat Welcome
Throughout Wildcat Welcome and your first year, get behind-the-scenes looks, insight from current students, and advice on your continued transition through Northwestern on the Wildcat Welcome social media account.
A Note about Health and Safety
The safety of our students is our top priority. The dates and details above are subject to change as Northwestern follows local, state, and federal health directives and guidelines. Students will be notified of changes via Purple Prep emails throughout the summer.