PA Application Information
How to Apply
We are excited you are considering applying to be a 2023 Peer Adviser. Before you begin your application, please make sure you have reviewed the position information and important dates and have attended one information session (required for applicants).
The Process Overview
- Required Information Session: All information sessions will be held in person. The dates, times, and locations for the information sessions are listed below. If you are unable to attend any information sessions, please email Merci at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Application: The application must be fully completed by 11:59pm CST on Monday, January 23. No late applications are accepted.
- Interview Process: Applicants are notified on February 3 noting whether or not they are moving forward to the interview phase. If moving forward, the notification will include their assigned interview day and time based on availability provided in the application. The assigned day and time cannot be changed.
- Selection: Applicants are notified by 5:00pm CST on Friday, March 10.
Required Information Sessions
Attending an information session is required for all Peer Adviser applicants. Even if you are just curious as to what a PA role looks like, we still encourage you to attend the session. Here are the dates, times, and locations for our 2023 sessions. Click the link next to the date and time to add the information session to your calendar!
Information Sessions for New PA Applicants
- Tuesday, January 10 from 5:00-6:00pm in Kresge 1515 (add 1/10 session to calendar)
- Wednesday, January 11 from 4:00-5:00pm in Kresge 1515 (add 1/11 session to calendar)
- Thursday, January 12 from 6:00-7:00pm in Kresge 1515 (add 1/12 session to calendar)
- Friday, January 13 from 4:00-5:00pm in Kresge 1515* (add 1/13 session to calendar)
- Tuesday, January 17 from 5:00-6:00pm in Annenberg G15* (add 1/17 session to calendar)
- Thursday, January 19 from 4:00-5:00pm in Annenberg G15 (add 1/19 session to calendar)
- Friday, January 20 from 3:30-4:30pm in Annenberg G15 (add 1/20 session to calendar)
- Sunday, January 22 from 12:30-1:30pm on Zoom (add 1/22 session to calendar)
*Students of Color Information Session: This session is open only to interested applicants who identify as Black, Indigenous, and/or People of Color (BIPOC). However, BIPOC applicants are welcome to attend any session above that works best with their schedule.
Information Session for Past PAs
If you previously served as a Peer Adviser, you must attend an information session for Past PAs rather than one of the sessions above. Applicants who have previously served as a PA are required to attend one of the sessions below.
- Tuesday, January 17 from 6:00-7:00pm in Annenberg G21 (add 1/17 session to calendar)
- Wednesday, January 18 from 5:00-6:00pm in Annenberg G15 (add 1/18 session to calendar)
Application: Due Monday, January 23 at 11:59pm
It is highly recommended to attend an information session before submitting your application. The application collects basic demographic information; below are application items that require some additional work ahead of time so you can then easily copy and paste them in once you begin filling out the application form.
Essay Questions for NEW Applicants (~250 words per response)
- Please identify two (2) reasons you would be a good Peer Adviser and explain these reasons.
- Describe a person, resource, or experience that impacted your transition to Northwestern during your first year on campus. How does this influence your desire to be a Peer Adviser?
- How do you imagine your personal identities will impact the way you are a Peer Adviser to new students?
Essay Questions for RETURNING Applicants (~250 words per response)
- Why are you applying to be a Peer Adviser again? How does this differ, if at all, from why you originally wanted to be a PA?
- Now that you have participated as a Peer Adviser at least once, what did you do well as a PA that you would like to continue if selected to return? What, if anything, will you do differently?
- Part of being a returning Peer Adviser is participating in all-staff training, and this training may be similar to the 2021 and/or 2022 training. How will you ensure you remain engaged with the content as a returning Peer Adviser?
- What are two (2) pieces of advice you would offer new Peer Advisers as they embark on mentoring and supporting a group of new students?
Applicants selected to continue will participate in our interview process. Applicants will be notified if they are selected to interview by Friday, February 3.
The PA interview process includes a group interview and an individual interview. If chosen to participate in an interview, you will be assigned to one of the 4 times you select. Interviews will be held for the full duration of the scheduled time period.
Please ensure that you are available for all 4 times selected and that you remain available for those times until you are notified. No interview assignment changes can be made.
- Friday, February 10 from 5:00-7:00pm
- Saturday, February 11 from 10:00am-12:00pm
- Saturday, February 11 from 2:00-4:00pm
- Sunday, February 12 from 10:00am-12:00pm
- Sunday, February 12 from 2:00-4:00pm
- Wednesday, February 15 from 6:00-8:00pm
- Thursday, February 16 from 6:00-8:00pm
- Friday, February 17 from 4:00-6:00pm
- Saturday, February 18 from 10:00am-12:00pm (virtual applicants ONLY)
- Saturday, February 18 from 2:00-4:00pm
Looking for additional information to help you prepare for your interview? Visit the Northwestern Career Advancement Interviewing webpage.
Applicants who participate in the interview process will receive a final notification by 5:00pm on Friday, March 10.
PA Position Restrictions
- Other Student Leadership Positions. You are unable to serve as a PA and any of the positions below:
- Resident Assistant (RA)
- The RA and PA selection process occurs simultaneously; applying for one position does not disqualify you from the other. The Office of Student Transition Experiences (OSTE) will be in contact with any applicants who are extended an offer the PA role and in the RA process to discuss next steps.
- Counselor for BRIDGE, Summer Academic Workshop (SAW), or another program occurring in September
- Family Ambassador (FA)
- Marching Band, Spirit Squad, Cheerleading, or student athlete on a team with practice or games in September (during PA Camp and Wildcat Welcome).
- Resident Assistant (RA)
- Study Abroad. If you plan to study abroad or be away from campus during Spring 2023 or Fall 2023, you are not able to fulfill the PA role.
- McCormick Students. McCormick students (non-transfer students) who accept a MEAS PA role are additionally required to be on-campus for Winter 2023 to continue facilitating their PRDV seminar.
- September Early Move in. OSTE organizes early move in for PA Camp participation in September for students living in a residence hall for Fall 2023. OSTE is unable to guarantee early move for students living in a fraternity/sorority facility or in an off-campus apartment. These students will be responsible to work with their house director or landlord to arrange a move time that allows them to participate in PA Camp. Due to housing capacities, OSTE is unable to provide short-term on-campus arrangements to these students.
- Non-PA Responsibilities during Wildcat Welcome. Peer Advisers must have no other duties or activities during Wildcat Welcome other than those of the PA nor are they allowed to recruit for other student organizations. This includes activities occurring during Wildcat Welcome such as A Cappella Fest, Rhythm Nation, Rock the Lake, etc.