Below are important dates for the Class of 2027, new transfer students, and family members. Stay up-to-date by connecting with Wildcat Welcome's various social media accounts.
Most immediately after acceptance, admitted students should do the following:
- Follow directives on the Admitted Student website. This includes anything you need to complete upon acceptance.
- Setup your Northwestern email. You setup your email when you initially activate your NetID. If you did not setup your email at that time, learn how to activate your email.
- Follow the Class of 2027 Instagram Account to meet other incoming students!
Early Decision Students
Early decision students in the Class of 2027 will mainly focus on directives and tasks listed on the Admitted Student website upon admittance in December. There are no additional tasks that open for completion until the full class is solidified at the beginning of May.
Early decision students can expect to receive "Looking Ahead" emails from the Office of Student Transition Experiences following your enrollment confirmation deadline on February 1; expect emails the first full week of February, March, and April. These emails, sent to your @u.northwestern.edu email address, provide you with a glance at what to expect starting in May and as a first-year student at Northwestern.
Week of May 1
The Purple Prep suite launches for the Class of 2027; students to be notified via Northwestern email upon launch. The suite includes:
- Purple Prep website: Your one stop to all the information you need to complete tasks throughout the summer and to prepare for your arrival in September.
- Purple Prep checklist: A personalized checklist to keep you on track for meeting deadlines throughout the summer.
- Purple Prep email: In your Northwestern inbox the first and third Tuesday of each month is this email to remind you of what is coming up and to provide you with any important updates/changes to tasks, dates, and fall information.
- Transfer students: Your Purple Prep process will begin in early June!
May-September: Purple Prep
Serving as the first component of the orientation process is Purple Prep. Learn more about the 3 parts of Northwestern's orientation process.
July-September: Before the Arch
The second component of the orientation process is Before the Arch, a fully virtual and optional opportunity to learn more about the social and emotional aspects of transitioning to Northwestern. Learn more about the 3 parts of Northwestern's orientation process.
August: Housing Assignments
New students learn of their assigned room/building, as well as roommate, at the start of August. Learn more on the Residential Services website.
September 11: New Student Move-in Day
New first-year and transfer students will move in during a scheduled appointment time on September's new student move-in day; international students move in earlier as referenced by the Office of International Student and Scholar Services. An appointment signup form will be sent to student email accounts in mid-August after room assignments are completed. Learn more about on the Residential Services website.
September 11-18, & 23: Wildcat Welcome
The final, on-campus component of Northwestern's new student orientation process is Wildcat Welcome. The mandatory orientation program for all new undergraduate students begins once students move to campus and runs through the day before fall quarter classes begin. Learn more about the 3 parts of Northwestern's orientation process.
September 11-12: Parent & Family Orientation
Parent and Family Orientation (PFO) provides family members of new students with information to serve as informed support systems for their student during their tenure at Northwestern. Programming begins at the end of new student move-in day and runs through approximately 5 p.m. on the following day; students participate in their orientation programming during this time. PFO is not a required event for families. Learn more about Parent and Family Orientation.
September 19: Fall quarter classes begin
Start of fall quarter classes
October 20-22: Family Weekend
Family Weekend occurs yearly and is available for the families of all undergraduate students. Programming during Family Weekend provides opportunities for families to experience Northwestern with their student. Learn more about Family Weekend.
Full Academic Calendar
Visit the Office of the Registrar website to view the academic calendar to find dates for breaks as you seek to plan travel.
View the 2023-2024 University Calendar to find dates for student breaks, holidays, and more.