Emergency and After Hours Care
This information is specific to the NU Health Service - Evanston. (Chicago Campus emergency information is found at the Health Service - Chicago Web site.) Services are for currently registered Northwestern students who meet the eligibility requirements to receive care.
For life threatening or severe emergencies call 911 or go to the emergency room.
If you are experiencing:
|a medical emergency, including those due to excessive alcohol consumption.||call 911 to summon paramedics or go to the nearest hospital emergency room.|
|an urgent physical illness or injury and you need to speak to the After Hours Nurse Call Line||call 847.491.8100 (press 1). You will be connected to After Hours Nurse Call Line outside of normal business hours. The Nurse Line is only available when the Health Service is closed.|
|urgent psychological or mental health need and would like to speak to the Counseling and Psychological Services counselor on-call||call 847.491.2151, 24 hours/day, year round. Answering Service personnel will contact a Counseling and Psychological Services counselor who will speak with you on the phone.|
|a sexual assault or other form of sexual violence||visit the CARE site for additional emergency information.|
After Hours Urgent Care – Alternative to the Emergency Room
The Northwestern University Health Service and the Northwestern Medicine Immediate Care Clinic in downtown Evanston are collaborating to provide urgent medical services to Northwestern students on weekends and evenings when the Health Service is not open. This is a less expensive alternative to an emergency room visit.
Northwestern Medicine Immediate Care is affiliated with Northwestern Medical Group (not Northwestern University Health Service). There will be a charge for services which are usually covered by most health insurance policies, subject to deductibles and co-pays.
Students on the NU Student Health Insurance Plan (NU-SHIP) provided by Aetna Student Health:
- Students are not required to get a referral when the Northwestern University Health Service (NUHS) is closed.
- Students must return to NUHS for a referral for any needed follow-up care after a visit to an urgent care facility.
- Students must first seek care at NUHS when the NU Health Service is open; any care outside NUHS requires a referral or will be subject to a $50 non-referral penalty.
- For additional information about the NU-SHIP referral requirements, see the Student Health Insurance web site.
Students not on NU-SHIP coverage
Students should contact their health insurance company to verify coverage and potential costs before going to any immediate care clinic.
- Students should bring their NU WildCARD and insurance card with them when they go to the Immediate Care Clinic.
- For transportation issues, please review the information on Medical Transport.
Northwestern Medicine Immediate Care
1704 Maple Avenue in Evanston (just across from the movie theaters)
Open 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. every day, 365 days a year
847 475-CARE (2273)
Northwestern Medicine Immediate Care Clinic is staffed by licensed physicians and emergency medical technicians who are trained to evaluate and treat a variety of illnesses and injuries.
Some common illnesses treated at Northwestern Medicine Immediate Care include:
- Colds Cough
- Gastrointestinal problems (vomiting and diarrhea)
- Sinus infections
- Urinary tract infections
Some common injuries treated at Northwestern Medicine Immediate Care include:
- Sprains, fractures, and other musculoskeletal injuries
- Cuts and lacerations
- Insect bites
- Animal bites
For more information on Northwestern Medicine Immediate Care go to Northwestern Medicine or call 847. 475.CARE (2273).