Ordering Your Regalia
To order your regalia, please visit this site
|Feb 27||Regalia Portal opens|
|March 2||Grad Fair|
|April 21||Student regalia ordering deadline for ship to bookstore|
|May 12||Student regalia ordering deadline for ship to home|
|May 24||Regalia pick-up 10AM – 6PM|
|May 25||Regalia pick-up 10AM – 6PM|
|May 26||Regalia pick-up 10AM – 5PM|
|May 27||Regalia pick-up 11AM – 4PM|
|May 29-June 9||Regalia pick-up weekdays 10AM–6PM M-F, Saturday 11AM-4PM, Sunday closed|
|June 10||Regalia pick-up 7AM – 6PM|
|June 11||Regalia pick-up 7AM – 6PM|
|June 12||Regalia pick-up 7AM – 6PM|
About Your Regalia
Purple “souvenir regalia” is custom designed for Northwestern featuring the University crest. The standard regalia must be worn by all participating candidates.
Bachelor’s degree regalia includes a souvenir stole. Advanced degree candidates wear hoods. The lining of the Northwestern hood is purple and gold, and the color of the velvet border of the hood indicates the academic area.
- Dual degree Bachelor/Master candidates should order the cap and gown of the higher degree being awarded. Additional tassels or basic stoles, etc., can be purchased on the website during the ordering process.
- Dual degree Bachelor’s candidates should order the regalia package for one of their degrees and the additional tassel for their other degree from the Accessories page in the ordering process.
How to Wear your Regalia
TIP: Safety pin your stole to the back of your gown to ensure it doesn’t fall off!
- All students will wear their tassels on the left from the beginning of the ceremony.
How to Care for your Regalia
When you receive your gown, remove it from its packaging and place it on a hanger to allow any folds or wrinkles to fall out. If an iron is needed, turn the gown inside out and use a warm (NOT HOT) iron. Steaming is also an option.
- TIP: Hanging your gown in a high humidity area, such as your bathroom, will help the folds and wrinkles fall out faster.
- TIP: To ensure you don’t lose any pieces from your regalia package, hang your gown on a hanger and use the plastic bag provided to store your stole, cap, and tassel.
Candidates may not alter or decorate their regalia in any way. Doing so may interfere with the ability to participate in events including Commencement, convocation, and any hooding ceremony.
Honor Cords and Stoles Guidelines
Degree candidates may wear honors cords that have been awarded by their schools or other campus organizations. School/organizations determine guidelines and distribution. Please note that Latin honors are not awarded until after Graduation Weekend so there are no honors cords at graduation for Latin honors.
Bachelor’s students may wear affinity stoles if desired.
College/School Honor Cord
College/School honor cords may be awarded to undergraduate and graduate degree candidates who are candidates for graduation with high honors within their respective school or college. More information about these will be forthcoming to those who qualify.
Membership, Leadership & Service Honor Cords, Stoles & Pins
These honor cords, stoles, and pins may be worn to designate membership, achievement, leadership or service. Please check with your respective student organization or campus department for honor cord, stole, and pin guidelines and distribution.
Guidelines for Receiving Honor Cords
Eligible students who receive membership, leadership and service honor cords, stoles, and pins will receive their honor cords, stoles and pins from the respective department or organization awarding the honor. The Office of Graduation & Senior Year Experiences does not distribute honor cords, identity or affinity stoles, and/or pins. Please note that final grades are not yet conferred by the day of Commencement or in time for convocations, so majority of ceremonies will not include honors recognition.
Additional Regalia Information
- Balfour is our partner for class rings and announcements.
- The Northwestern Barnes & Noble Bookstore carries diploma frames and additional spirit apparel.
- For graduate students with financial need, the Office of Graduation & Senior Year Experiences can provide financial assistance toward your regalia rental/purchase. More information will be forthcoming.
- For undergraduate students with financial need, Student Enrichment Services provides funding directly to your student account to cover the cost of your regalia. Please contact the Graduation Office for more information.
2023 Graduates may receive a complimentary heritage country stole, sponsored by Northwestern Student Engagement. Please fill out this form to order.
Ordering Fine Regalia
If you have/are planning to have a career in academia and need to own your own fine-quality regalia, you may order from our vendor.
Still Have Questions?
Please contact the Graduation Office.