Pace Rideshare Program
Northwestern University, in conjunction with Pace, offers a rideshare program for all full-time employees. Carpooling is an economical, convenient and environmentally friendly way to commute to work. This program was developed in partnership with the Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago, Northwestern Memorial Hospital and Northwestern Medical Faculty Foundation on the Chicago campus and the City of Evanston and Rotary International on the Evanston campus.
Participate in the Rideshare program and:
- Reduce gas, toll, maintenance and insurance costs
- Help reduce traffic congestion
- Conserve energy and improve air quality
- Reduce stress by sharing driving responsibilities
Full-time Northwestern Employees who plan on carpooling at least 3 times a week and live outside the parking boundaries* for their campus are eligible for the program. Northwestern has also created an Emergency Ride Home Program (ERH) for registered Pace Rideshare participants from NU in the event of a personal and urgent emergency. Qualified ERH reimbursements will cover taxi rides and single Metra, Pace, or CTA tickets home.
*Parking Boundaries - Chicago: North of North Ave, West of Halsted and South of Congress. Evanston: North of Central, West of Ridge and South of Lake
- Register with PACE Rideshare and specify your employer as "Northwestern University". For registration help, please see Pace's How to Register Guide.
- Match potential carpoolers in your area
- Submit a completed Northwestern Rideshare form to:
University Services, 710 Lake Shore Dr, Abbott Hall Room 100, Chicago, IL 60611
Fax: 312-503-9243 Email: email@example.com
- Stop by your campus parking office to pick up your parking permit (Chicago: University Services, Abbott Hall Room 100; Evanston: University Police, 1819 Hinman). Your parking assignment will be based on your carpool participants and their respective eligibility. Only one parking permit is issued per carpool, past drivers’ parking permits will no longer be valid.
Disclaimer: Please be advised that Pace Rideshare is not affiliated with Northwestern University. Participants are solely responsible for determining whether or when it is appropriate to meet with or share personal information with a potential carpool partner.
Emergency Ride Home Program (ERH)
Northwestern offers an Emergency Ride Home Program (ERH) for all of Northwestern’s registered PACE Rideshare participants. In the event of an emergency, reimbursements will cover taxi rides and single Metra, Pace, or CTA tickets home.
Covered emergencies include:
- Accident or injury to you or your immediate family
- Sudden and unexpected illness
- Major individual catastrophe (fire, gas leak, flood, etc.)
- Unexpected breakdown in your usual commuting plans home (last-minute cancellation of carpool, mechanical problems, etc.)
ERH will not reimburse:
- Soiled or damaged clothing
- Region-wide disasters (earthquake, tornado, etc.)
- Situation in which your immediate presence is not required
- Breakdown of public transit
- Your need to work overtime and miss your train or carpool
- Personal errands
To make an ERH claim, submit a completed ERH reimbursement form and the original receipt, within 30 days of travel, to:
710 Lakeshore Drive, Room 100
Chicago, IL 60611
View Rideshare FAQs.Back to top