Service Updates and Announcements
Shuttle Service Updates
The City of Evanston will begin reconstruction of Chicago Ave between Sheridan Rd and Grove St beginning the week of March 27. The full project is scheduled to last through mid-June. Please note the following current and expected upcoming impacts:
- Current Impacts
- Beginning the week of March 27 Chicago Ave will be reduced to one lane in each direction. Traffic congestion in the area may increase shuttle travel times.
- Future Impacts
- Chicago/Sheridan stop will need to be temporarily relocated when the work progresses to the stop. Relocation information will be noted above when it is moved.
- In mid-May the Chicago/Davis stop will need to be temporarily relocated when work progresses to that stop. Relocation information will be noted above when it is moved.
- Also in mid-May the Chicago/Grove stop may be impacted as work progresses. Any impacts will be noted as the project develops.
We thank you for your patience during this construction project. We will be working closely with the City during the project to minimize impacts as much as possible. Please understand that unforeseen impacts may occur without notice. We advise everyone to plan extra travel time during the project and to track the buses' location using DoubleMap. DoubleMap is real-time GPS tracking of all of the buses and can be viewed online at northwestern.doublemap.com and on smartphone apps (search DoubleMap in the app store; in the app choose Northwestern University as the transit agency).
Please be aware of changes to shuttle service beginning Sunday, March 12, with the start of Daylight Savings Time.
- Evanston Loop: Beginning Sunday, March 12 and continuing through the end of the academic year, the second bus on Evanston Loop's Thursday-Sunday schedule will begin at 9 PM.
- Campus Loop: Beginning Sunday, March 12 and continuing through the end of the academic year, the Campus Loop will begin at 9 PM.
Please be aware of changes to shuttle service during Spring Break, beginning Saturday, March 18 through Sunday, March 26.
- Intercampus additional Winter Quarter service ends on Friday, March 17. During Spring Break it will operate per the regular schedule.
- Evanston Loop will operate on the Sunday through Wednesday schedule beginning Saturday, March 18 through Sunday, March 26.
- Campus Loop will not be in service beginning Saturday, March 18 through Saturday, March 25. Regular service resumes Sunday, March 26.
- Chicago Express will not operate on Saturday, March 18 or Saturday, March 25. Regular Service resumes on Saturday, April 1.
- Shop-N-Ride will not operate on Sunday, March 17. Regular service resumes on Sunday, March 26.
- CTA #201 will continue regular service during the break.
- Chicago Train Shuttles will continue regular service during the break.
As Northwestern University continues our efforts to strengthen relationships with the City of Evanston, University Services is taking steps to curb both air and noise pollution thereby reducing the number of disturbances to our neighbors in the community surrounding Ryan Field. To help further these efforts, please be advised of the following:
Boarding Shuttles at Ryan Field
When boarding shuttles at Ryan Field, it is essential that all riders are waiting at the bus shelter at the scheduled departure time. The shuttle will "load and go" as it does at all other stops on the route. This means it will pull into the lot at the scheduled departure time, load passengers standing at the stop, and immediately leave; it will no longer arrive at the stop early in order to wait for riders to exit their vehicle, gather their belongings, and walk to the shuttle stop to board. This will reduce the time shuttles are in the parking lot thus lessening the impact to our neighbors.
University Services encourages the Northwestern University community to work with us when chartering a bus for an event. There are numerous advantages to working with us, including discounted rates, ease of payment, and quality assurance. However, if you choose to charter a bus independently or have a group coming to campus, it is required that you communicate to that company or group two important rules:
- No buses may idle in the Ryan Field lots. Parking in the lots with their engine off is acceptable, but if needed in that area for pick-up, buses must instead stage on Ashland Avenue between Central Street and Isabella Street.
- Drivers must abide by the City of Evanston Anti-Idling Ordinance. Buses may not idle for more than 5 minutes in any 60-minute period. Violators may be subject to fines.
Student Permit Returns
The final cutoff date for student permit returns is March 31, 2017. No student refunds or credits will be processed after that date. Ryan Field permits will not be sold after March 24. Ryan permits will go on sale again on September 1, 2017.
The Reservoir lot (# 104) will be closed through March 27, 2017. Students with Resident (R) permits who normally park in this lot may access the North Garage until the lot reopens.
LARC Drive and the Crown Sports east lot (#108) will be closed long term to accommodate the construction of the new Ryan Fieldhouse and Walter Athletics Center.
Parking controls (gates, card readers and pay stations) in the North and South Parking Garages are now operating. Current permit holders will gain access to the garages by swiping their Wildcard at the entrance gates. Daily parking for those without current permits is available for an $8.00 fee. Daily parking may be paid for at pay stations located in each elevator lobby. Further detailed information is available on this web site under the Policies & Information tab above.
Daily (same day) parking permits are available for purchase at an automated kiosk (credit card sales only) on the north end of campus (on LARC Drive #108), between the Sports and Aquatic Center and the Frances Searle building. Please note that permits purchased at the kiosk are valid for parking in surface lots only. They are not valid for parking in either the North or South Garage. (TEMPORARILY OUT OF SERVICE)
Construction contractors are prohibited from parking in all main campus lots and garages. Contractor Lot permits will be valid only in the Ryan Field West and East parking lots (# 101/ 102). A free contractor shuttle is provided.
Resident Student permits ("R", "R9") will have temporary access to the North Garage until lot # 104 reopens..Back to top