Bike to Work
Riding a bicycle to work is a commuting option that can have economic, environmental, and health benefits. Northwestern offers the following services and resources for bicycle riders:
- Secure bicycle parking is available on the Chicago campus. For more information, see the Bicycle Parking on the Chicago Campus.
- Bike racks on all University shuttle buses.
- Kryptonite brand locks locks available for purchase at cost through University Police on the Chicago campus at 211 East Superior, 312-503-8314. On the Evanston campus, the locks are available at Parking Services, 1841 Sheridan, 847-491-3320.
- University Police also provides free, online bicycle registration for the campus community.
- Air compressor located outside the Norris University Center west entrance (equipped for Schrader valves only)
- Shower facilities are available in Chicago free of charge at the Lake Shore Chicago Park District facility. Click here for more details. The shower facilities in Evanston are in a restricted area, so you will need to register with University Services in order to use them (free of charge). Contact Paul Merkey for details.
- Divvy offers $10 off Annual Membership to NU faculty, staff, and students. Visit Divvy's WildCARD Advantage page for details.
- Transportation maps are available at either WildCARD Office.
- Sign up for the NU bike commuter listserv. Following are the sign-up instructions:
- Send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Leave the subject line blank.
- Type the following command in the message:
SUBSCRIBE bike-commuters Firstname Lastname
- View the University Police web page on bicycle safety.
- BikeEvanston.org, the City of Evanston's bike website, is a great resource for biking know-hows, safety tips, routes and maps, and local bike laws in Evanston.
- The City of Chicago provides a Bicycling Information website.