Some common violations that may result in a ticket, a WildCARD deactivation, or towing include:
- Transferring a parking permit to another individual
- Invalid parking permit on vehicle
- Unauthorized or altered parking permit
- Incorrect permit for parking lot
- Parking permit not properly displayed
- Parking permit not facing aisle
- Parking over yellow line
- Parking in reserved or handicapped space
- Parking or obstructing traffic lanes, fire lanes, service area, posted area, or other restricted areas
Tickets and Payment
The Northwestern University Police Department enforces parking regulations and issues parking tickets. The Parking Office records the violations and tracks payment. The vehicle title/registration holder is responsible for all violations.
To Make a Payment:
Mail a check or pay fees in person at the Chicago Parking Office, 710 N. Lake Shore Dr., Abbott Hall, Room 100.
To ensure proper crediting, please bring or include the original parking ticket with payment.
If payment is not received, the individual's WildCARD is subject to deactivation and their vehicle may be towed. WildCARD reactivation will not occur until payment is received. University Police and University Services reserve the right to deny or revoke parking privileges.
- If a vehicle is towed, the owner of the vehicle is responsible for towing and storage fees.
Appealing a Ticket
Those issued a ticket have the right to appeal the ticket.
- Complete an online Parking Assessment Appeal Form. It is also available at the Chicago Parking Office (Abbott Hall, Room 100).
- Return the completed form to the Chicago Parking Office within 10 days of ticket issuance. The Parking Appeals Committee will not review late appeals.
- The Parking Appeals Committee will reach a decision regarding your appeal. The Parking Appeals Committee (comprised of faculty, staff and students) meets quarterly to review appeals received in previous months. A representative from the Parking Office attends the Parking Appeals meetings to answer any parking or enforcement questions the committee may have.
- You will receive a decision in writing from the Parking Appeals Committee. Decisions of the Committee are final.