Unmanned Aircraft Systems
Northwestern’s Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) program promotes safe, responsible, and respectful UAS operations on Northwestern property by providing guidance and requirements to staff, faculty, students, visitors, contractors, and pilots.
To request commercial or non-recreational UAS flight approval on, above, or inside Northwestern property, please complete this form with at least 48 hours advance notice, which requires the information below. Do not attempt to complete this form unless all applicable requested items below are available.
- Pilot in Charge (PIC) contact information (i.e., phone and email) and FAA license number
- UAS weight and FAA registration number
- Pre-approval from Northwestern Athletics for flights over athletics fields
- Upload the following documentation:
- FAA PIC license, including proof of training for night flights
- FAA waivers, as applicable
- Flight plan map indicating all areas of operation
- Certificate of Insurance (COI) and contract if the PIC is a contractor or vendor
- A written safety plan for indoor flights or flights that will impact walkways or roadways, which must include procedures to ensure no conflict between people, equipment, and property; a plan for all UAS movements and flight paths; established safe speeds and distances to people, equipment, and property; access control plan for the operating area; and emergency procedures (e.g., collisions, malfunctions).
- Pilot and UAS requirements
- UAS operations and approved flight areas
- Flight notification and approval requirements
For additional information, please contact email@example.com.