The Cash Management group within Accounting Services for Research and Sponsored Programs (ASRSP) provides financial invoicing services, payment applications, and collection services for sponsored projects for Northwestern.
- Payments by sponsors should be sent directly to ASRSP and not to the departments. The sponsor should be directed to send payments to ASRSP.
- Rebates are when a grant is being refunded to the sponsor. Payment needs to be sent to Cash Management in ASRSP for processing. Complete chart string (fund, department, project, activity, and account) must be written on the check stub along with department contact information.
- Program Income is income earned that is directly generated by a sponsored project. It must be accounted for in accordance with the sponsor's terms and conditions and reported to the sponsor. Payments should be sent to Cash Management in ASRSP for processing. Complete chart string (fund, department, project, activity, and account) must be written on the check stub along with department contact information.
- Clinical Trial Invoicing: Departments must use the ASRSP Clinical Trial Invoice template. The template is editable to fit each department's needs but contains the necessary information for processing incoming payment.
Where to Send Payment
Any type of payment that is for a grant, received by a department, must be sent to ASRSP for processing.
Payments Received by Departments
Checks and any remittance advice or backup received with the check in the department for payment on sponsored projects must be forwarded to ASRSP for processing within three days of receipt if under $100,000. Checks that are $100,000 or more must be hand delivered to ASRSP the same day of receiving.
Checks under $25,000 can be sent via campus mail to:
ASRSP - Cash Management
633 Clark, Room G547
Checks over $25,000 must be hand delivered to ASRSP (do no leave in drop boxes) to either one of the ASRSP offices.
Chicago: Rosanna Sian
Rubloff Building - 750 N. Lake Shore, 7th Floor
Evanston: Ricardo Torres
633 Clark, Room G594 (Crown North Tower)
First Class, Certified or Overnight Mail
633 Clark, Room 547
Evanston, IL 60208
Electronic Fund Transfers
Via Automated Clearing House (ACH) or wire.
Please include in the message field what the payment is for, such as the project number, protocol number, title of the study, Principal Investigator's name, invoice number, award number, or SP number.
Name of Bank: JP Morgan Chase
Bank Address: 10 S. Dearborn, Chicago, IL 60603
Name of Bank Account: Northwestern University
Type of Account: Checking
Account Number: email ASRSPemail@example.com to obtain account number
Sort / Routing / ABA (Domestic): 071000013
Swift Code / Routing: (Foreign): CHASUS33 021000021
Payments received by a department that are funding a grant need to be sent to ASRSP, per above addresses. Rebates include the following:
- Reimbursement for travel that was covered by some other agency
- Conference/Registration fee that was covered by some other agency
- Refunds/credits from a vendor for supplies charged to a grant
Departments receiving Program Income payments should send the payments to ASRSP (see above addresses) for processing.
Program income includes but is not limited to:
- Fees for services performed, such as laboratory tests
- Money from the use, sale, or rental of equipment purchased with project funds
- Sales of supplies or equipment purchased or fabricated with project funds
- Sale of software, tapes or publications
- Sale of research materials, such as animal models or reagents
- Fees from participants at conference or symposia
- Royalties from patents and copyrights (Note: Income resulting from royalties or licensing fees is generally exempt from reporting as program income). Please see NIH definition.
If you have any questions regarding Program Income, please contact your specific Grant and Contract Financial Administrator (GCFA) at ASRSP.