COVID-19 Affected Sponsored Projects - Cost Allowability
Cost Allowability for Sponsored Projects Impacted by COVID-19
In light of the recent notices from the Office of Management and Budget and Federal sponsors, Northwestern has amended the Charging Sponsored Projects policy. The amended policy sets forth the guiding principles for determining whether it is appropriate to charge a given cost to a sponsored project related to or affected by COVID-19. The amendment also indicates that in the event a sponsoring agency has published specific terms and conditions pertaining to COVID-19, the impacted project costs must be charged according to the sponsoring agency’s requirements. This amended policy is retroactive to January 20, 2020 through the public health emergency period, and prior to the date of an award for all applicants and recipients that have been affected by COVID-19.
Guidance and templates are available to implement the policy and provide consistent documentation of sponsored project charges during this period.
- Amendment to Charging Sponsored Projects: Policy for Sponsored Projects Impacted by COVID-19
- Charging Sponsored Projects Policy
Guidance and Templates
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)- FAQs of Cost Flexibilities for Sponsored Projects Impacted by COVID-19
- Guidance on Charging of Personal Protective Equipment to Sponsored Projects
- Cost Flexibilities per Sponsor Guidance- Summary of the allowability of COVID-19 cost flexibilities per sponsor
- Guidance for Use of COVID-19 Payroll & Stipend Justification Forms When Considering "Idle Time"
- COVID-19 Justification Templates for Sponsored Charges
Note: to access these forms and guidance, a valid Net ID is required.
- Office for Sponsored Research: COVID-19 Information for Sponsored Research Administration
- COGR: Compiled Institutional and Agency Responses to COVID-19 and Additional Resources
- COGR: FAQs and Resources on COVID-19 Impacted Federal Awards
- University-wide: Coronavirus/COVID-19 Updates