Cognos Reporting Tools
The following Cognos system reports (login required) are recommended by Accounting Services for Research and Sponsored Programs (ASRSP) for administrators to use when monitoring their unit's sponsored projects.
- How to Schedule Cognos Reports for Recurring Delivery
- GM044 - Sponsored Project Portfolio
- GM045 - Sponsored Project Budget Statement
- GM047 - Milestone (Deliverable) Report
- GM086 - Projects Balances Report
- GM091 - Sponsor Payments Received
- GM092 - Subcontract Monitoring Report
- GM093 - Cost Share Commitment Status
- GM096 - Grant Transaction History Queries
- GM097 - Sponsored Project Actuals Balance Report
- GL008 - Revenue and Expense Activity Report
- GL069 - Financial Summary
- SC016 - Open Encumbrances Report
GM044 - Sponsored Project Portfolio
This report displays balances for active projects including totals for direct and indirect expenditures as well as encumbrances by department and/or principal investigator
It can run for negative balances only to monitor deficit spending
Drill through available by project to the GM045 - Sponsored Project Budget Statement
GM086 - Projects Balances Report
- Similar to Sponsored Project Portfolio, but with added data fields including ASRSP Grant and Contract Financial Administrator (GCFA) Name, Award ID/Sponsor ID, Start and End dates
- No drill through capability
- Recommended by ASRSP: run for current period, all Contract Statuses, Active Projects, and specify either a particular PI for Manager/Reviewer field or select particular department for a detailed view of the current financial status of your constituency. View in Excel 2007 Data file type.
GM045 - Sponsored Project Budget Statement
Displays direct and indirect expenditure totals by project against the total budget amount along with project demographic data
Dollars are broken out and shown by Current Accounting Period, Fiscal Year to Date, and Inception to Date
GM047 - Milestone (Deliverable) Report
- Used by department administrators and PIs in tracking upcoming deliverable due dates to assist in meeting sponsor and institutional requirements
GM091 - Sponsor Payments Received
- Presents details of payments received by contract, with a breakout by project
- Payment activity includes all forms of payments as well as a subset of write-offs and other maintenance items
- Note: For converted non-clinical awards, payment data prior to December 2008 is not available
GM092 - Subcontract Monitoring Report
- Displays a complete list of fully-executed subcontracts
- Current status for funding and disbursement
- Includes the burn rates (percent disbursed)
GM093 - Cost Share Commitment Status
- Presents revenue and expense data from NUFinancials Commitment Control for sponsored projects with cost sharing
- Grants users a multi-year view of budget, revenue and expense on cost share funds
- Provides a comprehensive view of all departments committing cost share funds to a given sponsored project
GM096 - Grants Transaction History Queries
- Displays expense and budget transactions on sponsored (grant) chart strings. This report, when downloaded to Excel, can be used in conjunction with ASRSP’s Expense Review Workbook template. The report contains two sections, “Expense Transaction Query” and “Budget Query”. When exported to Excel, the data will appear on separate tabs.
- This report is used by Principal Investigators, Department Administrators, and ASRSP to review detailed transaction history by contract or project id. It can reduce compliance risk by providing departments with easier access to and greater detail regarding expenses posted to grants.
GM097- Sponsored Project Actuals Balance Report
- GM097 Guide to Understanding
- GM097 ASRSP Formatting Recommendations
- The GM097 displays a comprehensive view of a research departments' entire research project portfolio, including non-clinical sponsored projects, cost-shared projects, and clinical trials.
- Non-clinical project balances are displayed Total Budget less Direct and F&A Expenditures and Encumbrances.
- Clinical project balances are displayed Cash Received less Direct and F&A Expenditures and Encumbrances, with Protocol numbers.
GL008 - Revenue and Expense Activity Report
All transactions affecting the budget for the current period
- Revenue and expense are displayed by Project and it is possible to drill through to transactional data
- Recommended by ASRSP: select User Define YTD Period and "998 - Adjustments" for Accounting Period to Date in order to see all transactions on a particular project or range or projects.
SC016 - Open Encumbrances Report
Shows open encumbrances and helps users to reconcile budgets and track purchase orders that have not been finalized
GL069 - Financial Summary
- Displays summarized expense and revenue (actuals and budget) financial information by chart string for a DeptID or School/Unit, reflecting the typical Expenses, Revenues, and Ending Balance, as applicable
Can be used to track cost-sharing commitments