Skip to main content

Eligibility to Work on Campus

Federal I-9 Identity and Eligibility to Work in the US

ALL employees must complete the Federal I-9 Form.

Form I-9 is used to verify the identity and employment authorization of individuals, both citizens and noncitizens, hired in the United States. Sections 1 & 2 MUST be completed prior to the supervisor submitting the new hire request via HR Operations Document Submission (OnBase) form and before the student can start working. 

Academic and Enrollment Requirements 

  • Students must follow and meet all university Academic standing provisions in order to be employed.   
  • Generally, students must be enrolled part-time or full-time. Less than full-time enrollment, co-op programs, study abroad or other off-campus studies may impact a student’s eligibility to work. Other conditions may be required. 
  • Once a student has graduated from their program, they are no longer considered temporary student employees and must be re-hired as a regular temporary employee.  
  • Only students in the  Federal Work-Study (FWS) program can work for specific Community Service agencies, schools, government, or nonprofits in Evanston listed on the NU Student Job Board

Multiple Positions 

Student employees may work in multiple jobs on campus but must not exceed the maximum number of hours they are eligible to work per week according to the time of year.  See additional Timekeeping polices here. 

Federal Work-Study students

The Federal Work-Study (FWS) program is a federal need-based financial aid program developed by the U.S. Congress and administered at Northwestern University by the Work-Study Office, part of Undergraduate Financial Aid. FWS wages are subsidized by the federal government; the employer pays 25% of each work-study employee's wage and the federal government pays 75%.  Eligibility is determined annually by your financial aid office based on their FAFSA information and demonstrated financial need. Review the NU Work-Study Program website for additional eligibility and participation information.  

International students

International students will need to obtain a social security number before working on campus. In addition to completing Form I-9 (below), foreign nationals will need to enter their data into the Foreign National Information System (FNIS)

Specific international student employment requirements should be addressed to Office of International Students and Scholars.