Skip to main content

Frequently Asked Questions

Questions? We have answers.

Jump to common questions related to brand tools:

Who should use the Brand Tools website?

Any faculty, staff or student who engages in University business and would like guidance on branding and communications should use the site as a resource. 

Where can I find the University logo?

There is a University wordmark, as well as lockups that present the wordmark with school and department names (to serve as school/unit logos). Files for the wordmark can be found in the Visual Identity section.

Where can I get a lockup for my unit?

Every unit can now have a lockup consistent with Northwestern’s brand strategy. Files for the school lockups are available on the School and Unit Lockups section of this website. 

Individual units can use the templates provided on the brand tool site to develop their lockups. Global Marketing is available to review. 

To request a lockup, please contact Global Marketing and Communications.

Are there Northwestern PowerPoint templates that I can use?

There are several PowerPoint templates available for your use. We provide templates branded with Northwestern as well as templates without the Northwestern wordmark so that schools and units can customize the templates with their own branding. Download a template from our PowerPoint Templates page..

How do I create letterhead or other printed materials with the wordmark/logo?

Official digital and print stationery is available through iBuyNU. For more information, visit our Stationery, Business Cards and Letterhead page.

If I am hiring a freelance photographer or videographer, what do I need to know?

It is essential that all vendors working with the brand understand it fully. They should pay careful attention to our Narrative and Messaging section as well as our Photography Guidelines section. Each vendor should carefully read the entire robust brand guidelines located here on the Brand Tools Website.

We have also provided training modules or "Brand Kits" that can provide guidance for vendors.

What should I do if I want to redesign my website to reflect the brand?

Visit the department templates site for available code For assistance, file a project request.

Where can we I get trademark and licensing information?

The Trademark Licensing Office must approve all products and designs. The Auxiliary Services site houses need to know information, as well as who to contact to answer any questions you might have.

Visit the Auxiliary Services website.

What if I need strategic help for my school or unit?

Start by filling out our request form, and we’ll follow up with you directly to learn more. Please note that projects are considered in the context of university priorities, timing and capacity. In some cases, we may refer you to an outside vendor that best suits your needs. 

Are there any resources I can leverage to streamline work with a designer or freelancer?

Completing a creative brief and design spec sheet when assigning a project is an efficient way to provide all of the pertinent information to your designer or freelancer. With clear and concise communication with your creative team member, you can ultimately shorten the time it takes to complete a project.