Studying Abroad

Because civic and global engagement is a central to the mission of the University, many students who are registered with AccessibleNU (ANU) study in credit or non-credit programs in other countries during their Northwestern careers. For instance, ANU students participate in international programs through the Office of Undergraduate Learning Abroad and in service-learning programs through Global Engagement Studies Institute (GESI). ANU staff worked most closely with staff in the Study Abroad Office to produce Study Abroad's Accessibility Abroad page, which provides many helpful recommendations and guidelines.

For the most part, students registered with ANU are eligible to receive similar if not the same accommodations while studying internationally. However, this cannot always be guaranteed since our laws governing disability rights don't have to be honored in other countries. To begin the process of requesting accommodations for your program, please complete the following steps:

  1. Contact your program advisor to find out who the accommodations coordinator is for your program

  2. Get the coordinator's contact information and ask what type of verification is needed. (typically verification that you're registered with ANU and a summary of your accommodations, but please ask.)

  3. Email AccessibleNU specifying exactly what information needs to be sent, to whom, and their contact information

  4. If verification is being sent to the coordinator via email, you will be copied on the email; otherwise AccessibleNU staff will let you know when your request has been completed (typically within 1 week)

If you're considering a program abroad but are concerned about how your condition may impact your travel or study, please discuss this with staff from the international program office you are considering. In addition, the Study Abroad Office and AccessibleNU have copies of a brochure called "Disability: Making Study Abroad Happen for You" available through CIEE with contributions from Mobility International USA. You may also find useful resources through the organization Diversity Abroad.