International House Syllabus Photo
Photo in the 1948 Syllabus yearbook
In response to student demands, the University experimented with its first inter-racial dorm, International House (1827 Orrington), in 1947. The house held 16 women students. In the first year, residents consisted of “eight Negroes, three white, and one Japanese” (all American citizens). The House onlylasted a year, and was discontinued because it could not attract enough residents.