We work everyday to make Northwestern a greener, more sustainable campus. But we can’t do it alone. A meaningful, lasting impact requires the participation of our entire campus community. Even small, everyday choices – like bringing reusable bags to the grocery store – make a big difference if we all commit. Get involved, rally your friends and colleagues, and help us make sustainable living a part of our campus culture.
How to help
Everyone on campus can participate. Join us at events, lead the recycling efforts in your office, or make a commitment to reduce your energy use. Here are some ways to get started:
- Live Green: Is there any other way to live?
- Recycle: Campus recycling saves over 690 metric tons of greenhouse gas emissions annually (equaling the emissions from 604 cars). Learn more about what you can recycle and where to do it.
- Conserve Energy: Learn how you can easily reduce your energy usage.
- Save Water: Make an effort to limit your water usage.
- Travel Sustainably: Check out NU's public transportation options.
- Eat Locally: Vote with your fork and choose where to eat.
- Purchase Consciously: Learn tips and ideas for eco-friendly purchasing practices.
- Be an Eco-Rep: Inform, engage, and lead fellow students to live a sustainable lifestyle.
- Take the Green Pledge: Commit to making small, sustainable choices in your daily life. President Schapiro took the pledge. Have you?
- Certify your Space: Fill out our online checklist and let everyone know your residence or office is certifiably “green.”
- Join a Student Group: Meet new people, learn new things, and grow our campus community.
- Volunteer: Donate your time and help make our campus and city more eco-friendly.
Be sure to check out the Green Living Guide to learn more about what you can do to sustainNU!