Student and Employee Annual Taxes

Annual Tax Forms and Information

All nonresident aliens must complete a U.S. tax return and Form 8843 each year, even if they do not have any income or if all of their income is tax exempt under a tax treaty.

Nonresidents must complete their annual federal tax return by April 15 for the previous tax year if they have wages reported on a W-2. If a nonresident only has a 1042-S, and not a W-2, such as someone who has only received scholarship/fellowship payments or if all of their income is exempt under a tax treaty, they have until June 15 to file their tax return.


Glacier Tax Preparation Software will become available in March 2016.

To help with federal tax preparation, we will offer Glacier Tax Prep to to current international students and scholars (and NU students now on OPT).

Glacier Tax Prep is an online preparation system designed exclusively for international students, scholars, and their dependents. It will help you in preparing U.S. Federal Income Tax forms (both 1040NR and 1040NR-EZ), as well as do the following:

  • Calculates the substantial presence test to determine the foreign national's U.S. residency status;
  • Verifies each type of payment for any applicable income tax treaty exemptions;
  • Checks if the individual is eligible for "away-from-home" expenses (if he or she has been in the U.S. for less than 12 months);
  • Completes the correct U.S. income tax form - either Form 1040NR or Form 1040NR-EZ;
  • Prepares any additional statements or attachments, as applicable - Form 2106, Form 8843, Schedule C, and/or Scholarship/Fellowship Grant Statement;
  • Prints the tax return and all attachments (please note, the IRS does not allow nonresident aliens to file a tax return electronically); and
  • Provides detailed instructions about how, when and where to submit the tax return, as well as information about the documents necessary to attach and complete the tax return filing process.

Get started

The International Office will be sending all students/scholars an email with a personalized access code for Glacier in March 2016. Once available, you will get additional instructions on logging in, creating a profile, and filing. If you do not receive an access code by March 15, 2016, email your advisor. Don't know your advisor?  See this list!

Gather the following documents and information before logging in:

  • Passport
  • Immigration Docs (I-20 or DS-2019)
  • SSN or ITIN (if you have been assigned one)
  • Address Information (US and Foreign)
  • U.S. Entry and Exit Dates - current and past
  • Academic Institution Information
  • Forms W-2, 1042-S, and/or 1099
  • A copy of your previous federal tax return if you filed one last year

If you are encountering difficulty accessing GLACIER, please email Nick Seamons ( with specifics regarding the issue you are encountering. Please allow 48 hours for a response.  If you need an access code you can contact Nick or the Payroll Office

The International Office provides many resources to international students and helps with visa issues.

Social Security Numbers (SSN) and Individual Tax Identification Numbers (ITIN)