Foreign Nationals

Foreign nationals who receive payroll payments from Northwestern University must complete certain paperwork, including tax returns. Find information and necessary form below.

Independent Contractors

Students and Employees

  • Forms and procedures for paying students and employees
    Nonresidents must provide their information in the University's Foreign National Information System (FNIS).
  • Tax forms and information
    Nonresident aliens must complete a US tax return each year, along with some tax forms. Learn more about these requirements, as well as, CINTAX, a web-based tax return preparation system is offered at no charge to our international populatuion.

Social Security and Tax ID Numbers

All nonresidents must apply for a Social Security number unless receiving a fellowship. Learn more about this process and find resources.