All international students and employees with the F-1, J-1, and H-1B visa categories must file certain tax forms with the federal government.
- If you were present in the U.S. during any part of the tax year, you must file tax forms for that year.
- You must file forms even if you received no taxable income during the year, or if your income is tax exempt under a tax treaty.
Sprintax, an easy-to-use online tool that will help you prepare your federal and state tax returns is now available to Northwestern students and scholars. You should have received an email from your international student advisor around Feb 17, 2015, containing your personalized Sprintax access code. If you did not receive an email and were present in the U.S. in 2014, please email your advisor for a Sprintax access code. List of Advisors
The staff at the IO are not trained tax professionals and are not able to provide one-on-one advising regarding filing tax returns, questions about forms, etc. We can provide general advice and information, and we can direct you toward tax resources:
Tax forms you might need and where to get them
W-2 Statement of Wages
- About this form: The W-2 is a summary of your wages and taxes paid and will be required when filing federal and state taxes. By Jan 31, you should have received a W-2 from each employer who paid you in the prior tax year.
- Contact the Office of Payroll at 847-491-7362 with any questions.
1098-T Tuition Payments Statement
- Contact Student Accounts at 847-491-5224 with any questions.
1098-E Student Loan Interest Statement
- Contact Student Loans at 847-491-3125 with any questions.
1040NR Nonresident Alien Income Tax Form
1040NR-EZ Income Tax Form for Certain Nonresidents With No Dependents
1042-S Information for Nonresident Aliens for Tax Purposes
- About this form: Form 1042-S is created for anyone considered a nonresident alien for US tax purposes who received payments from the university for fellowship/scholarship, independent contracted services, or royalties as well as anyone with a benefit under a tax treaty with their resident country. By mid-March, you will receive your 1042-S Form for the prior tax year.
- Contact Payroll at 847-491-7362 or view HR's webpage about this form.
8843 Statement for Exempt Individuals and Individuals With a Medical Condition
State tax forms
You are required to complete a State Tax Return for each state in which you worked in 2012. If the state you worked in is not on our list, try googling the state name and "State Tax Return."