Technology violations open the University to legal and information security risks. These violations take on many forms, but some examples include:
- The addition of equipment that extends the University network (hub/hublets, repeaters, and wireless access points);
- Violation of copyright laws, such as illegal file-sharing and/or downloading of audio and/or video files;
- Password sharing (e.g., University NetID password);
- Improper use of University technology resources;
- Accepting charge cards on unapproved University Web sites;
- Information privacy violations (downloading and/or allowing access to sensitive/private information); and
- Illegal computing activities (e.g., virus/worm creation, hacking).