- Travel Policy for Non-University Personnel
- Advance Planning for Non-resident Visitors
- University-designated Travel Agencies
- Per Diem
- Health Insurance for International Travel
- Contact Information
It is the policy of Northwestern University (NU) to reimburse NU faculty and staff and to pay outside
Northwestern's travel policies and procedures apply fully to individuals who are not University faculty or staff, but who are to be reimbursed by the University for University-approved travel, including transportation, lodging, and other
These individuals include:
- guest lecturers or researchers,
- prospective faculty or staff,
The department is responsible for informing guests of the University's travel policy and procedures prior to their
For additional information on visitor expense reimbursements, see the Expense Reimbursements page.
Visitor's Expense Report
Uses:Reimbursement of individuals who are not university faculty and staff, but who have incurred expenses for university approved, business relatedexpenses, including transportation and lodging.
- Submission Method: Online Voucher with attached electronic
- Signatures Needed: Visitor, Department, Dean, or Principal Investigator, as necessary, on form, then NUFinancials workflow approvals related to chart string (original not needed).
- Documentation Needed: Receipts or other support for
expense(original not needed).
Tips on Supporting Documentation
- It is recommended that original documentation not submitted to Accounts Payable should be retained by departments for 3 years for audit purposes.
- A Contracted Services Form, fully completed and signed, can serve as sole documentation, if appropriate.
- Procurement and Payment Services will be part of workflow approvals for all vouchers over 25K.
- Procurement and Payment Services will still require BD-1 or SSJ for Direct Payment Requests over 25K.
- The recommended file format
is .TIF and .PDF with a resolution of 200x200 DPI.
- You may attach one or more docs totaling no more than 1MB file size.
- Manage scanned documentation for file size and legibility. Illegible files will be returned by Accounts Payable.
Clearadhesive tape should not be placed on top of important information when prepping for sending or scanning. Scanners and fax machines do not read through clearadhesive tape, thus anything under the tape, while legible to the human eye, is not legible to the scanner/fax. (ex. do not tape over cash register receipts as the print disappears.)
- Receipts with faint print should be copied and darkened for scanning.
- Tape small receipts to an 8 ½ x 11 white sheet of paper.
- Be sure to tape all four sides to
- Do not use dark-colored highlighters to mark names, invoice numbers or important information. The highlights scan as blacked out.
- Do black out sensitive information such as Social Security Numbers.
- Make sure no staples are used. Those can damage the scanner.
University-designated Travel Agencies
University-designated Travel Agencies should be contacted to arrange all air and rail transportation, hotel accommodations, and car rentals. Airline tickets may be direct-billed to a departmental or sponsored project source of funds through a designated travel agency. The traveler's Corporate Card (or personal credit card) must be provided for train tickets, hotel
The alternative of an allowance for daily expenses, a per diem, is permissible for meals and incidental expenses (M&IE). For sponsored program travel, the per diem arrangements may require prior agency approval. For M&IE, the reimbursement method selected must be used for the entire trip and should be established ahead of the trip. For lodging, all actual expenses must be supported by receipts. Per diem allowances shall not exceed the maximum stated by the government's published standards.
The Office of Risk Management has arranged health insurance coverage for faculty and staff who are traveling outside the United States on University business. Benefits are identical to those available to students studying abroad.
- Travel Policies & Procedures
- Air reservations
- Car rentals
- Northwestern hotel discounts and U.S. and international hotel rate references
- University-designated travel agencies
- U.S. Federal Government per diem rates by travel date/country/city
- Health insurance for faculty and staff traveling outside of the U.S.
- Non-resident Alien Independent Contractors
- Visiting scholar health insurance plan
- Non-Resident Visitor's Expense Report Form
Northwestern Travel Services at email@example.com, or 847-491-7569
Travel policies for non-sponsored programs, use of per diem for non-sponsored program travel
Gary Ernsteen, Manager of Accounts Payable, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 847-491-4445
Travel policies for sponsored programs, use of per diem for sponsored program travel
Evanston - Contact Jany Raskina, Expenditure Audit Coordinator, at email@example.com or 847-491-4697
Chicago - Contact Rosanna Sian Rolle, Expenditure Audit Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 312-503-0835
American Express Corporate Card
Treasury Operations at 847-467-4962
Health insurance for travel outside of the U.S., health insurance for visiting scholars
Risk Management & Environmental Health & Safety, at email@example.com or 847-491-5610
Non-resident alien independent contractor payment requirements
Angie Gwinn, Tax Analyst, at 847-491-7204 or firstname.lastname@example.org