Below you'll find information about why it is valuable to apply for a fellowship and which fellowships require nomination through our office.
Why Applying is Valuable
The application process is rigorous and time-consuming but also valuable. Applying for a fellowship can help students and recent alums in at least three ways.
- First, you can grow as a writer. Our office has the resources and expertise to guide you through multiple revisions of your application, and it is in the revision process that writing growth most occurs.
- Second, you can learn about yourself. Fellowships challenge you to tell stories about your past and articulate a vision for your future in ways you seldom or never do in class.
- Lastly, the process can help you identify and strengthen your relationships with the faculty and mentors who have shaped you into the person you are today.
Some fellowships require nomination, facilitated by our office, but most do not.
The following fellowships currently require a Northwestern nomination:
- Beinecke Scholarship
- Boren Scholarship
- Churchill Scholarship
- Deutscher Akademischer Austauschdienst German Studies Research Grant
- Deutscher Akademischer Austauschdienst Study Scholarship
- Dolores Zohrab Liebmann Fund Fellowship
- Fulbright-Hays Doctoral Dissertation Research Abroad
- Fulbright US Student Program
- George J. Mitchell Scholarship (for current undergraduates)
- Gilliam Fellowships for Advanced Study
- Goldwater Scholarship
- Google PhD Fellowship
- James C. Gaither Junior Fellows
- Luce Scholars
- Marshall Scholarship
- Mellon/American Council of Learned Societies Dissertation Completion Fellowship
- This award does not require nomination facilitated by the Office of Fellowships, but it does require a statement from the institution, often supplied by the school's dean or the department's director of graduate studies, confirming that the applicant is on schedule to graduate by the end of the grant period.
- Michel David-Weill Scholarship
- Rhodes Scholarship
- Schmidt Science Fellows
- Truman Scholarship
- Udall Undergraduate Scholarship
- Yenching Scholars
To view a list of fellowships, including those that do not require nomination, use our fellowship finder tool.
A Note on Fellowship Applications and Confidentiality
Northwestern University is committed to fostering an environment where students are safe and free from sexual misconduct. Confidential resources are available to those who have experienced sexual misconduct. Staff in the Office of Fellowships are not confidential resources and are required to report to the Office of Equity incidents of sexual misconduct, whether discussed in your application materials or in person and regardless of when or where they occurred. The Office of Equity will then provide information about resources and options. We encourage students who have experienced sexual misconduct to talk with someone to get support.