There are many more awards than we can add to the fellowship finder, but we are happy to work with you on applications for external funding you identify through your own searches. In addition to consulting with our office, you can find awards that match your interests and long-term goals by using the following databases.
ENGLISH TEACHING AND LANGUAGE LEARNING
- English Teaching Opportunities Interactive Map - Created by the Office of Fellowships, this Google map identifies English teaching opportunities around the globe. (If you have trouble accessing the map, please try logging out of your NU email account and/or trying a new browser.)
- Language programs - Hosted by the US Department of State, this website lists a number of programs for learning a foreign language and includes information about external awards to fund the program.
FUNDING FOR CURRENT AND PROSPECTIVE GRADUATE STUDENTS
- GRAPES - This database is hosted by the University of California, Los Angeles.
- Illinois Database of Grants and Fellowships for Graduate Students - This database is hosted by the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.
- Law School Scholarship Databank - Hosted by AccessLex Institute, this databases includes scholarships and writing competitions for prospective and current law students.
FUNDING FOR STEM STUDENTS
- FastLane - This database lists opportunities funded by the National Science Foundation.
- Pathways to Science - This database is hosted by the Institute for Broadening Participation.
- REU Directory - A joint effort from Northwestern's Program in Environmental Sciences and Department of Earth and Planetary Sciences, this directory focuses on opportunities offered by the National Science Foundation's Research Experiences for Undergraduates program but also includes additional chances to get engaged in research.
- Zintellect - This database lists internships, experiential learning opportunities, and fellowships and scholarships funded by government and private sector organizations. These programs are administered by ORAU and the Oak Ridge Institute for Science and Education.
FUNDING FOR STUDY ABROAD
- Campus Bourses - This website helps students and recent alums find funding opportunities for study in France.
- DAAD - This website helps students and recent alums find funding opportunities for research, study, and internships in Germany.
- IEFA - This database lists awards that fund study-abroad programs.
- IIEPassport - This database lists awards that fund study-abroad programs.
- UK A–Z Interactive Map - Created by the Office of Fellowships, this Google map can help you find graduate programs in the United Kingdom and associated funding opportunities. (If you have trouble accessing the map, please try logging out of your NU email account and/or trying a new browser.)
FUNDING FOR THE ARTS
- National Endowment for the Humanities Grants - This database lists dozens of opportunities funded by the NEH, including grants for writers.
- New York Foundation for the Arts Awards and Grants - The NYFA offers awards to artists in multiple disciplines.
GENERAL DATABASES FOR EXTERNAL FUNDING
- Funding Institutional (sign-in required) - This database contains 18,000+ active funding opportunities from more than 3,500 government and private funders around the world, including 2,000 US funders.
- Global and Research Opportunities - This database helps Northwestern students find internal and external funding opportunities, as well as information about faculty areas of research.
- Immigrants Rising - This organization provides comprehensive lists of external funding awards that do not require US citizenship.
- LGBTQ Student Scholarship Database - Hosted by Human Rights Campaign, this database lists fellowships and grants for LGBTQ and allied students at the undergraduate and graduate levels.
- Citizen Diplomacy Action Fund - Sponsored by the US Department of State’s Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs and Office of Alumni Affairs, this award supports alumni of US government–sponsored exchange programs to conduct public service projects.
- PREDOC Opportunities - The Pathways to Research and Doctoral Careers opportunities page lists a variety of postbaccalaureate opportunities, including staff positions, positions for non-matriculated graduate students, and academic appointments.