Keep yourself, others and property safe by following the procedures outlined below to prepare for and respond to an emergency situation during an emergency situation. Contact us if you have questions or want more information.
Take these steps before any emergency occurs.
- Review your building, department or campus's emergency plan. Following the plan will save lives and minimize damage.
- Familiarize yourself with the closest escape routes. Escape routes are posted in building hallways.
- Acquire a personal disaster preparedness kit. You can purchase or assemble your own kit.
For quick reference, we've created the All Hazards Emergency Procedures flyer with information outlined in this section. Consider displaying this flyer in your office or residence.
After an Emergency
Do not re-enter a building after an emergency.
Facilities Management will assess buildings for re-entry. University Police or Facilities Management personnel will evaluate damaged buildings and check and/or turn off water, gas, and electrical mains.
- Northwestern Emergency webpage
- University Police non-emergency: From any campus phone: x 456; Evanston: 847-491-3456; Chicago: 312-503-3456
- Facilities Management repairs: Evanston: 847-491-5201; Chicago: 312-503-8000
- Information Technology repairs: 611 from any campus phone
- Main University telephone numbers: Evanston: 847-491-3741; Chicago: 312-503-8649