Frequently Asked Questions
Who do I contact if I lost something on a shuttle?
What shuttles are available on the Chicago campus?
Chicago Train Station shuttles provide transportation between the Chicago campus and the four Metra stations in downtown Chicago (Ogilvie, Union, Millennium, and LaSalle)
The Intercampus shuttle travels between the Chicago campus and the Evanston campus. In Chicago, it can be boarded at the Ward Building.
What shuttles are available in Evanston?
These shuttles are available in Evanston:
- Intercampus: The Intercampus shuttle provides service between Evanston and Chicago campuses. The mission of this shuttle is to transport faculty, staff and students between campuses while on University business. Its primary mission is not intended as a way to commute to work or school; however, as a secondary benefit when capacity exists, we make every effort to accommodate others within the framework of its original mission and budget restrictions. Valid Wildcards are required to ride the shuttle at all times.
- Evanston Loop: The Evanston Loop shuttle travels around campus, Evanston, and to the Davis Street CTA and Metra stations.
- Campus Loop: The Campus Loop shuttle connects the north and south ends of campus to downtown Evanston.
- Frostbite shuttles: Frostbite shuttles operate on the Evanston Loop and Campus Loop routes when severely cold temperatures are predicted - temperatures in the single digits or a wind chill factor predicted to be below zero. When deployed, the Evanston Frostbite and Campus Frostbite shuttles offer daytime service on two existing evening-based shuttle routes. See below for detailed schedule and route information.
- CTA #201: Transportation Services has partnered with CTA to allow students, faculty, and staff to request a University-issued Ventra card. This Ventra card allows you to ride the #201 bus for free during the academic year, September 1 through June 30. The #201 bus route operates between the CTA Howard station and Old Orchard Mall with stops in downtown Evanston, on campus, at Ryan Field, and extending along Central Street.
- Athletic event shuttles take fans to the Ryan Field and Welsh-Ryan Arena for all Wildcat football and men's basketball games.
Is there a cost to ride the shuttles?
All Evanston shuttles, including the Intercampus route, are available and free to students, faculty, and staff displaying a valid Wildcard.
Chicago Train Station shuttles require the purchase of a ticket. Visit the Chicago Train Station page for information about purchasing tickets.
Is there an airport shuttle?
Can parents or guests ride the shuttles?
Can children ride the shuttles? What do I do about my stroller?
The shuttle system is intended to transport faculty, staff, and students, and our highest priority is to ensure passenger safety on every trip. Due to space constraints and safety concerns, we discourage use of shuttles to transport children, but understand it may be necessary on occasion. We encourage parents to be considerate of other riders and adhere to these rules when traveling with children:
- Children under the age of 13 may ride shuttles when accompanied by an adult with a valid Wildcard or Shuttle Pass. The adult must remain with the child for the duration of the trip.
- Children must remain seated for the duration of the trip.
Strollers are welcome on the shuttles, but please be aware the size of strollers impacts the ability to accommodate other riders. If traveling with a stroller, please adhere to these guidelines:
- Due to crowding concerns, large strollers are not allowed on the shuttle before 9:30 a.m. or between 4 p.m. and 6:30 p.m. Compactable folded strollers are allowed at all times.
- If the shuttle becomes crowded the driver may ask you to fold the stroller and hold your child in your lap.
- Open strollers cannot block the aisle or seats. Priority seating areas are intended for seniors and customers with disabilities. If these seats are not in use, the area may be used for strollers, but please be considerate and move the stroller if the area is needed by another rider.
Does Northwestern participate in CTA's U-Pass program?
Currently, the following graduate schools offer the U-Pass program:
- Feinberg School of Medicine
- McCormick School of Engineering
- Medill School of Journalism
- School of Law
- School of Physician's Assistants
- School of Physical Therapy
- The Graduate School
If you are a student in one of these schools you must contact the administrative offices at your school in order to obtain your U-Pass.
Does CTA offer a student discount?
What are transportation options during cold weather?
Do the shuttles run on weekends?
Are there shuttles that provide service to downtown Chicago?
Yes, the Intercampus shuttle provides service between the Evanston campus and downtown Chicago. The Intercampus has one stop on the Chicago campus, which is just a few blocks from the Magnificent Mile. Once downtown, a rider can then use CTA to reach their final destination in the city.