Recruiting Expectations For Employers
Offer GuidelinesKeeping the parameters of our academic calendar in mind, and so that students may thoughtfully and carefully evaluate their decisions, NCA kindly requests that you adhere to the following guidelines:
- All return offers extended at the conclusion of a summer internship are kept open for a period of three weeks from receipt of the formal offer.
- All other offers for an internship or full time employment are kept open for a period of two weeks.
We expect employers will:
- Demonstrate flexibility in working with students to consider reasonable requests
- Communicate hiring timelines clearly and acknowledge if they fall outside NCA’s preferred offer policy guidelines
- Not place undue pressure on students to make offer decisions
We expect students will:
- Not accept an offer for employment while continuing to pursue other opportunities
- Make requests for reasonable accommodations in a timely manner
- Work under advisement of NCA and make NCA staff aware of any instances in which our stated offer dates cannot be met
NCA discourages reneging on accepted job offers in the strongest possible terms. Students are informed of NCA’s policies and the potential consequences to re-recruiting after accepting an offer.
Your partnership and cooperation helps ensure that students can accept an offer in full confidence and commitment to your organization, and prevents reneging of offers.
Second Round Interviews
NCA kindly asks organizations to be as flexible as their process allows when offering second/final round interview dates to candidates. Every effort should be made to provide an alternative option for students if the first presented date cannot be met, particularly when scheduling around major religious holidays and the academic calendar. Employers hosting in-person second/final rounds outside the Chicagoland area are especially encouraged to give candidates multiple options, given travel time. Employers may leverage both virtual and in-person interview formats at their discretion to allow for the greatest schedule flexibility.
NCA's Anti-Discrimination Statement
Diversity, equity, and inclusion are necessary for a healthy, prosperous, and fair educational experience. As career services and professionals, we affirm the expansion of Northwestern's statement on harassment and discrimination to include recruitment activities and students’ experiences within the workplace prior to graduation. Northwestern’s Policy on Institutional Equity provides a definition for discrimination along with a framework for students, staff, and other community members to report employer-based discrimination, which the university will investigate and adjudicate