Wedding Music Checklist & FAQ
Checklist & Timeline
AFTER YOU FINALIZE YOUR RESERVATION(For weddings held from June 1-September 15, please make communication no later than April 1.)
- Reply to your welcome e-mail from the Associate for Chapel Music so that we are ensured that you have received our communication and understand our regulations concerning music.
- If you are wishing to hire additional musicians or soloists, please inquire about this possibility.
ONE MONTH PRIOR TO THE CEREMONY
- Musical selections should be sent for our approval.
- The stipend for the musician should be delivered and can be paid as part of your final deposit to the chapel. Weddings reserved after 1-31-16 include this stipend as part of the entire wedding fee.
We request that all weddings begin at the appointed start time. Our musicians are hired for the 15-20 minutes of prelude music and for one hour from the start time of the ceremony. Weddings which start late risk losing their musicians.
How should I use this wedding information and music samples?
Please read this material completely and listen to the selections (link). Couples may wish to include other family members in the selection process. Contact Eric Budzynski, Music Associate (organist) or Dr. Stephen Alltop at any time to ask questions, and to help finalize your choices.
Please send your selections by email to Eric Budzynski (firstname.lastname@example.org). Your musical selections should be submitted to the Music Associate in writing no later than 1 month prior to their wedding.
Am I limited to the selections listed here?
The pieces listed here are offered as suggestions. We will be happy to accommodate appropriate requests for other repertoire whenever possible.
How do we engage organists, additional musicians, or soloists?
The Music Associate will be happy to engage whatever musicians you may desire. Please make an initial contact with the Music Associate NO LATER THAN THREE MONTHS PRIOR TO THE CEREMONY to the Music Associate.
Please note that, once a musician’s services are engaged at the request of the wedding party, the wedding party is responsible for compensating that musician in accordance with the established fees.Some of Chicago's finest musicians perform in ceremonies at Millar Chapel, so it is recommended that arrangements be made as far in advance as possible to ensure their availability. If you desire one or more trumpets, a brass quartet or quintet, excellent players can be engaged from the Millar Brass Ensemble.
The Music Associate will be happy to engage a soloist on your behalf. Professional singers of every voice type can be engaged.
If you wish to arrange for a soloist on your own, please be aware of the following requirements:
- The soloist(s) must be of professional vocal quality and capable of projecting without amplification.
- If organ or piano accompaniment is required by the organist, music must be provided at least two weeks prior to the wedding in the key and specific arrangement required by the soloist. The organist's stipend includes a rehearsal with the soloist on the day of the ceremony but would require additional compensation if another rehearsal would need to be arranged.
What are the musician's fees?
- Wedding without Soloist or Instrumentalist - $275.00
- Wedding Ceremony accompanying one Soloist or Instrumentalist - $300.00
- Personal Meeting in addition to phone consultations - $100.00
- If organist is requested at the rehearsal - $125.00
Instrumentalist or Vocal soloist
- $225.00 (in addition to organist fee)
- For example, if a trumpet is engaged to play at your wedding, the organist will receive $300 and the trumpet will receive $225.
When is the music rehearsed? Does the Organist attend the rehearsal?
Musicians will coordinate and rehearse selections prior to the wedding ceremony. Chapel organists DO NOT attend rehearsals for ceremonies officiated by Chapel clergy (they will confer on order and cues prior to ceremony).
When guest clergy are involved, organists may attend rehearsals (for an additional fee of $125) by request to confirm cues for the Processional, Recessional, and any other music in the ceremony but this is rarely necessary.
When should the musician's be paid?
Musician’s honoraria must be mailed or delivered to Alice Millar Chapel no later than one week prior to the wedding.
- c/o Eric Budzynski, Music Associate
- Alice Millar Chapel
- 1870 Sheridan Road, Evanston, IL, 60208
Please provide checks made out to the individual musicians. This will be communicated via e-mail closer to the actual date of your ceremony.